Self sustained tank / mini eco system

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Has anyone ever set up a tank where all or (almost all) food is produced in the tank? Whether it be breeding livebearers, shrimps, algae or plants?

I think a 125 would have to be the minimum size for something like this. I would have 100+ red cherry shrimp with a ton of plants, driftwood and rocks to create a lot of hiding spots for the shrimp to hide and reproduce. Plus the plants would eat up any nitrates/nitrites left by its inhabitants. After a month of letting the shrimps get their population up I'd add a breeding pair of bolivian rams to the tank. I'd rather do german blue rams but its harder to find ones that would raise their eggs on their own. Then maybe a few bristlenose plecos or cory catfish, whichever is easier to breed, add a few guppies or swordtails and finally a golden wonder killifish. He'd be the ultimate fry hunter which should keep everyones population down.

Any thoughts??

Naos1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2012
Pasig, Philippines
Interesting! Let us hear the responses. I believe an even larger tank in the >250 gallon range is needed to make this work. Also it should be densely planted with all the plant equipment in place.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
I am also quite interested in this concept. I say you should give it a couple months at least before adding fish, so you can get a robust breeding population of as many inverts as possible - cherry shrimp, blackworms, mts, daphnia, etc. then work your way up the food chain slowly

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i love this idea but believe creating a perfect balance (or near perfect) will be very hard, will be a bit of trial and error i would think but sounds great.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
Never thought about blackworms or dafnia. Good idea.

Yea it'll be hard to replicate nature. How could you even tell if the fish are eating more inverts than can be produced?

Another pair suggestion would be Apistogramma's.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
the problem is the water... while nitrate ect will get absorbed by the plants... your TDS and ther toxins will raise.. and eventually you will see die offs... it could be monthes.. or years... with a regular water change regime imo its the best way to do such a tank.. and it's amazing to see one thats balanced.

if you look at review for those spheres.. they are death traps... for the above mentioned reasons.

gutted

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
I guess a drip system should be added too. It'll be like a small stream flowing through the mini eco system.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store