Sump sketch for 90 gallon tank

ryanoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Memphis, TN
ZmEyQhg.png

I realize this is a little bit of an unorthodox set up, but here goes.

This drawing is not to scale at all, but here's the idea I came up with for my 90 gallon Tang community. The tank on the left is a 20 long, and the tank on the right is a 5.5 gallon. The idea is to have the 5.5 function as a freshwater refugium, but also be able to be closed off from the circulation loop of the rest of the tank and be used as a QT/hospital tank. The light bult is for the upflow algae screen in the right side of the 20 gallon. I'll have gate valves in all the places where I'll need to shut off flow for the 5.5, as well as for maintenance purposes, but I didn't put them in this sketch. There's also going to be some sort of floss or sponge jammed between the left-most baffles to prevent any solid waste from getting into my wet/dry filter. I also didn't draw the drain I plan to put in now so that the system can later be changed to a continuous drip system. I figured the drain would go in the pump chamber a little higher than the pump itself? That would be my first foray into that, so I'm 100% on how to do that. Does anyone have any feedback or suggestions before I start work on this thing this weekend?

ZmEyQhg.png

tehmole

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 12, 2012
antartica
don't know if you'll get enough water flowing back to your tank with that cut off back to the refeg and sponge filter

ryanoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Memphis, TN
I plan on having a valve there, so only a small amount of water will be able to go into the refugium from the return pipe. Do you think that would work?

ryanoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Memphis, TN
I'm trying to order a pump right now, but I'm not sure which one. I think I want to go with a Quiet One pump again (which is what I'm using on my 40 gallon, and I love it) since they're cheap, quiet, and reliable. I'm between the 3000 and the 4000 right now. I don't quite understand head height, but I can tell you that there's about a five foot height change between where the pump will sit and the top of the tank. Does anyone have any suggestions on which pump I should use to power this system?

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Head height is pretty much the pressure the pump is under at x height which results in x flow. the higher you pump the more flow you will lose.

I personally love the new waveline DC pumps a 3000lph or 5000 lph would do the job but they aren't very cheap. I also love the laguna pumps. These are both quiet and very reliable but a bit costy. Laguna pumps can run for years but 5-8 years. Wave lines come out of the same factory and are built a bit more bulky so I hope they will last as long also.

ryanoh

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Memphis, TN
Do you think a Quiet One 3000 will do equally as well? Is it maybe better to have two smaller pumps instead of one large one? If so, how do I go about plumbing that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store