Gar's abnormal diet..

fishy_dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2005
S'pore
hmmm.. a question bout my 12inch spotted gar's "diet".. a few weeks ago i put a newly acquired 5inch spotted gar in the same tank wif it.. the next morning i found out that it had appeared in my 12inch gar's belly.. problem is does it have smth against its own family or what..?? as i have smaller bichers(5-6inch) in the tank wif my large gar and all of them have been doing fine for quite some time.. bout half a year.. any1 can help explain this mystery..?? because i bought another small gar bout the same size as the previous.. but am afraid 2 mix it wif my 12inched Gar.. thx..! =)

knickwight

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2005
coatesville
typically gars do just fine with each other, but as always there are exceptions to the rule. maybe he doesn't like other gars, maybe he just thought food is food. either way i wouldn't put another gar in under 8-9 inches with him.

beblondie

In Loving Memory
Mar 31, 2005
chicagoland
As stated it was a size problem with large predators you hve to keep the size difference as close as possible-Anne

Bichirs don't occupy the same water space and are not precieved as compitetion for food just because the gar hasn't doesn't mean its not gonna

sohfatfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
S'pore
U should get tank mates that are approximately the gars size and that will grow accordingly as well so that they do not become dwarfed when the gar grows and end up in his belly.

fishy_dude

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2005
S'pore
haha.. u all are right bout its huge appetite.. hmm.. mayb its time for a power feeding regime for my smaller gar and bichers.. thx all! =)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store