How do you feel about water changes while cycling new tank?

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
So I would like to know your opinion about water changes while cycling a new tank.

Will water changes slow down the cycling process?

OR

Will water changes help the cycling process? For Example: Doing water changes during cycling can dilute toxins in your tank such as ammonia and nitrite making it easier for beneficial to grow.

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
water changes during cycling will slow down the process and with 3,600 posts you should already know the answer to that question.

studd muffin

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2009
'MERICA
water changes during cycling will slow down the process and with 3,600 posts you should already know the answer to that question.
I just want to know others opinion on this topic :headbang2 On a reef forum there were many people who suggested partial water changes. I thought it would make a interesting topic on here.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
To answer your question without being condescending like the above poster, yes wc's will slow your cycle UNLESS ammonia reaches a level above 5 ppm which can then stall the cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Depends if you are doing a fish less cycle or not.

I always do a "with" fish cycle. I do at lease a 25% water change every other day. Just monitor the water quality and you are fine.

Sent from my Nokia 5165

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
I just want to know others opinion on this topic :headbang2 On a reef forum there were many people who suggested partial water changes. I thought it would make a interesting topic on here.
I did not mean to offend, but that question just sounded to newby for some that has been around as long as you.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
Depends if you are doing a fish less cycle or not.

I always do a "with" fish cycle. I do at lease a 25% water change every other day. Just monitor the water quality and you are fine.

Sent from my Nokia 5165
Seems like there can be too many variables. Wouldn't your wc schedule depend more on the amount of fish you're cycling the tank with? I always felt safer just doing fishless.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

eklikewhoa

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2012
Nha Trang, Vietnam
I would do small/partial water changes, read a few studies that showed that extreme spikes in ammonia/nitraites actually slowed down the cycle.

Oxygen levels was another thing discussed which if too low would not allow the BB to flourish and even halt the process.

sent via homing pigeon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store