Have to move my Oscar before new tank fully set up.

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
I need to move a Juvi Oscar into a larger tank. I also am in the middle of moving. The new 75G tank is setup and running at my new address with two brand new Emperor 400's on it. The sand substrate is also brand new.

On day #2, i proceeded to move in some old rocks and plants from the old aquarium, as well as suspend about 2 pounds of old subtrate in netting in the 75G. To help cycle the tank, i moved in 4 danios and a handful of Trumpet Snails (oscar likes to eat the larger ones) at the same time. Tanks been running 2 weeks with no issues so far.

I thought I'd have 2 months to get the new tank up and running, but i might have to cut short at 3 weeks.

What should I do here? I was thinking of taking the old cartridge from the filter and stuffing it into one of my emperor 400's. The heater will also be transferring over. i also have some peices of old, established driftwood from the old tank with a ton of Java fern i'd like to move over. As soon as the oscar is moved over, the old tank will be taken down for good.

Thoughts?

jjohnson

Feeder Fish
Mar 7, 2013
TN
When doing moves like this in the past I have either moved a seeded filter from one tank to the next or I have moved the dirty filter media into the new filter on the new tank. I have never had any issues doing this. All my fish were Happy, Happy, Happy.

Loves severums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2009
Michigan
When doing moves like this in the past I have either moved a seeded filter from one tank to the next or I have moved the dirty filter media into the new filter on the new tank. I have never had any issues doing this. All my fish were Happy, Happy, Happy.
I agree

CanadianKeeper

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2012
Ontario
x2

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
no need to move the water. moving the stones, plants and filters (or material) will be fine. the bacteria is on the surfaces.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
dont forget to dose w/ prime (in case you DO have ammonia issues ), your O will thank you..:popcorn:

BostonMike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 5, 2013
Boston, MA
Thanks guys.

Gonna do the move Sunday. I'm going to stuff the old filter media in a box, and transfer over some driftwood and rocks.

I was going to transfer the danios to my 20long, but you think they would be quick enough to remain as dither fish? Prob not huh?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store