does ur gar eat pellets, if so howd you do it ?

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
my gr is about 7" give or take, and ive been feeding him talapia but the pbass seem to snag most of the talapia before he even gets a chance.... how did you guys get your gar on pellets ? or how can i get mine on pellets ? what size is ok to starve them and just feed strickly pellets to everyone hoping he takes them ?

aceyoda

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
NoDaK
at about 9 in i got my Florida to take pellets. I was having a similar problem with an Oscar eating all the shrimp. What I ended up doing is just feeding pellets after a couple shrimp. The Oscar would get all the shrimp first but the smell of them would excite the gar and eventually the gar ended up trying the pellets. This took a few failed attempts with the gar not having anything to eat because he refused the pellets. But once the gar figured out that I wasn't going to specially feed him shrimp after the Oscar finished he started to eat pellets. after a couple weeks of this I stopped feeding shrimp first and the gar would eat pellets without the excitement of shrimp. Now when I do treat them to shrimp the gar will compete with the Oscar instead of waiting because he has figured out that the shrimp buffet is not endless.

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
hmmm, well ya even when i feed just pellets the gar shows NO intrest at all in them or anything....but im not sure where to take it from there.... like i feed him talapia and he eat it but he is very slow when i toss it in if it floats behind he dont care really lol.... how long shoul i feed strickly pellets for or what should i do ... i know as soon as i toss talapia in the bass will eat it right away and the gar wont even know the talapia hit the water

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
1) Pbass and cichlids in general are not ideal tank-mates for gar. not just saying it either, i've experinced it. anything territorial period is a bad idea and will more then likely end up with a gar with a broken back from spooking, or stressed out it refuses to eat.

2) all 3 species I've owned took to pellets fairly easy once they where 12" under that size they should have free access to live foods ( ie 24/7)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store