Need some recommendations (there is criteria)

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
The tank this is for is in my signature. In addition to what's already listed I will be adding more lemon tetras and some angelfish.

What I want: A cool somewhat odd looking fish.
Criteria: Has to be of South American origins (not necessarily a wild fish I just want to keep it SA themed), won't eat any of the current or soon to be current inhabitants.

At first I was thinking a Black Ghost Knife but not sure how it will fair with the Lemon Tetras, then I was thinking about a whip tail catfish.

So, with the criteria above shoot me some ideas. :)

jkusnierz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2013
United States, Massachusetts
anableps anableps are really cool fish, if you can find them. but do require brackish water with a SG of between 1.005-1.015 is what is needed for these fish. While driftwood is required a pH of 8.0-9.0 should be used. Also if you plan on getting these beautiful fish is best that you have no other types of fish. some say mollies will work but its best that they are by themselves. plus anabelps can not be single they should be with 8 or more also it would be recommended that you have something like duckweed to help keep them feeling safe. On the other note the idea of the BGK will be great with the lemon tetras as long as you have 8-12 tetras to calm down any nipping. what size tank do you have? This will be a really nice set up either way!

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
bushynose plec....or a striped raphy... if you lemons are big and the cat is juvie....(he prob wont eat them if they are long term tankmates , and the cat is well fed...

Aqualoon

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
Minnesota
I've kept them together before with zero issues. I started out with rummy nose but they're kinda torpedo shaped and get munched on. The way the lemons are shaped I have yet to lose one with Severums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store