Cleaning FX5?

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
So I've been running my FX5 for about 7 months. I'm pretty sure the outflow has lost some pressure. So I want to clean it out. When I do clean it out should I rinse out the layers of bio max? What the correct way to clean it out?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Why have you gone 7 months without cleaning your filter?
Regardless, rinse your bio with tank water during wc.
Some say different, but just hose out the pads. I've never had to worry about a mini cycle.

This is true.

Sent from my Nokia 5165

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
I turn the unit off, close both valves, when u take them off the lid have a rag cuz water will drip a little, siphon a couple gallons out of the canister into a bucket so its easier to carry, pour your bio media in the bucket, take the canister, lid, trays and foam outside and hose the hell out of everything! Just shake the bio in the bucket, place back in trays, zip it all up and put valves back on, turn both open and fire up!

I like to take my motor housing off and clean out the impeller just to be safe, but its not necessary, do this before you place baskets and media back in.

That's how i do it.

Go S.Vettel #1 RB8 3X WDC!!!!!!!!!

women?! pleeze. you're like one of my grandsons. I can't even visualize you thattaway, it's just wrong.
I forgot all about NLS.

you might wanna cut back on your jet fuel intake.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
Why have you gone 7 months without cleaning your filter?
Regardless, rinse your bio with tank water during wc.
Some say different, but just hose out the pads. I've never had to worry about a mini cycle.

I thought you only have to clean them out every 6 months or so. How often do you do wc's? I do mine almost every week an there's no way I'd take open up the filter every week.

mikec707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
santa rosa
www.youtube.com
I turn the unit off, close both valves, when u take them off the lid have a rag cuz water will drip a little, siphon a couple gallons out of the canister into a bucket so its easier to carry, pour your bio media in the bucket, take the canister, lid, trays and foam outside and hose the hell out of everything! Just shake the bio in the bucket, place back in trays, zip it all up and put valves back on, turn both open and fire up!

I like to take my motor housing off and clean out the impeller just to be safe, but its not necessary, do this before you place baskets and media back in.

That's how i do it.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?504763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS
Thanks!! that is very helpful. How often do you clean out your canister?

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Thanks!! that is very helpful. How often do you clean out your canister?

I try to clean my filter every 2 months, 3 at the most. Also depends on how many fish are in the tank. More fish=more waste.

Like strollo said, depends on a lot of factors, such as: stock level, feeding regimen, substrate, additional filters and imo most importantly PLANT DEBRIS! Nothing will start clogging your filters as fast as plant left overs.

If your not overstocked, dont have a bunch of live plants, dont
Overfeed (or atleast net leftovers) you can prlly stretch it a few months but if you dont mind your gph slowing then 1/2 year isn't to bad, anything after that may strain the pump a little, so imo id never cross the 1/2 year mark!

But if you have a lot of messy fish, and your only running the fx5 every 2-3 months sounds more like it or else your filter will start leaching n03 and even with big wc you may not see a huge drop in nitrates.

women?! pleeze. you're like one of my grandsons. I can't even visualize you thattaway, it's just wrong.
I forgot all about NLS.

you might wanna cut back on your jet fuel intake.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
there is a cleaning method in the manual! shut the inlet and outlet valves and connect a hose to the connector on the base of the filter then open the inlet and switch her on then the tank water will wash the filter out aswell as performing your water change empty'ing at presure!-) ive not used this method as i havent got a hose to fit the bottom connector but in theory its the best way to do it...

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
I clean the bio-media in my ehiem beacause there is tons of it in my ehiem... In my xp3 i don't have much biommedia stuff and have mostly a lot of sponges so i leave the bio media alone beacause i don't have much of it... I clean the sponges in all my filters... don't make the media too clean or you will loose too much bb...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store