Canister Vs Pressure filter for aquarium

CeD_^

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Mauritius
Hi fellow hobbyists

I am thinking about upgrading my filtration. My aquarium is 5'x2'x2' and holds around 450l. I have 2 choices; canister or a separate pump inside the aquarium which then pumps to a pressure filter. The problem with canisters is that sometimes I spend a hell of a time trying to make the water flow from the aquarium to the pump. Whereas a pump inside the aquarium will pump directly to the pressure filter without any problem. Also, if the canister's pump is dead, the whole canister is useless compared to a pressure filter. So which one is better?

Another thing is that basically, all the media found inside the canister needs oxygen for bacteria to grow. But as the canister or pressure filter is a closed circuit, how are the bacteria supposed to populate?

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I use pressure filters on my system so I can piggy back it off my sumps pump. I dont think theres much difference apart for the pump in the 2 systems, most people wouldnt want a pump in there display tank is more why I believe canisters are the more popular choice

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store