Setting up my first saltie

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
So right now I'm in the final planning stages for my first saltwater setup. It's going to be a JBJ 28G nanocube with the CFQuad 104W lighting. Right now the only accessory I have purchased for it is an Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer which is widely considered to be the best one available for this tank. I am still undecided on what else to get and could use some outside input. I will probably use Instant Ocean salt, since I plan on having corals would I be better off just starting with reef crystals than the sea salt so the water chemistry is more stable?

For a heater I was planning on getting an Eheim Jager, probably just a 50W since the room it's going in is usually around 70* but will get a bigger one if recommended. I am also undecided on wavemakers. Would I be better off with one Koralia nano 425 or two Koralia nano 240s? If I go with two 240s then they will be on the wavemaker controller that came with the tank and the two return pumps will be constant on. If I use one 425 then that will be constant on and the return pumps will be on the controller. Which option would be better for me? I'm also thinking about getting this hydrometer if anyone has some feedback on it.http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Garde...UTF8&colid=7AJ27627GTDQ&coliid=I2PD0YTACNVWAH

Aquascaping will consist of approx 2" of a fine aragonite sand and around 25-30# of LR depending on what I can find. I want to grow some basic corals such as softies and LPS but nothing to aggressive or difficult. With around 4W per gallon I should be able to support a variety of different species. Stocking right now is planned around getting either a single or pair of clownfish-possibly black if I can find them, a firefish, a kaudern cardinalfish, and one other, maybe a paired shrimp/goby combo. CUC will be mostly snail based with possibly an emerald crab and some shrimp.

So that's my plan for right now, any feedback is appreciated.

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
I'd cycle thru with standard OC salt then switch to reef crystals if calcium was below 500, alk below 8, mag below 1425. I started out with red sea pro and had to switch to oc standard to lower my levels cal was 650 and alk was 14 mag was just plain outta whack. 4 watts per is good for most starter or beginner sps but low for plates and brains. Try hammers, frogspawn, torches, duncans but steer clear of mixing large softies like fingers leathers giant hairy mushrooms and trees unless you can give them 12 inch spacing. Ricordea would be a better option. I'd also recommend macro rocks as opposed to LR for hard coral reefs this eliminates alotta deadly hitchhikers - dip corals in RX before acclimation.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
So right now I'm in the final planning stages for my first saltwater setup. It's going to be a JBJ 28G nanocube with the CFQuad 104W lighting. Right now the only accessory I have purchased for it is an Aquamaxx HOB-1 skimmer which is widely considered to be the best one available for this tank. I am still undecided on what else to get and could use some outside input. I will probably use Instant Ocean salt, since I plan on having corals would I be better off just starting with reef crystals than the sea salt so the water chemistry is more stable?

For a heater I was planning on getting an Eheim Jager, probably just a 50W since the room it's going in is usually around 70* but will get a bigger one if recommended. I am also undecided on wavemakers. Would I be better off with one Koralia nano 425 or two Koralia nano 240s? If I go with two 240s then they will be on the wavemaker controller that came with the tank and the two return pumps will be constant on. If I use one 425 then that will be constant on and the return pumps will be on the controller. Which option would be better for me? I'm also thinking about getting this hydrometer if anyone has some feedback on it.http://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Garde...UTF8&colid=7AJ27627GTDQ&coliid=I2PD0YTACNVWAH

Aquascaping will consist of approx 2" of a fine aragonite sand and around 25-30# of LR depending on what I can find. I want to grow some basic corals such as softies and LPS but nothing to aggressive or difficult. With around 4W per gallon I should be able to support a variety of different species. Stocking right now is planned around getting either a single or pair of clownfish-possibly black if I can find them, a firefish, a kaudern cardinalfish, and one other, maybe a paired shrimp/goby combo. CUC will be mostly snail based with possibly an emerald crab and some shrimp.

So that's my plan for right now, any feedback is appreciated.
It looks like youve done some research. Thats good.
First off, I really like the look of bio cubes. I dont personally have one but I have seen some sick looking bio reefs. Good choice on the setup. They are great for beginners.
The light and skimmer are good choices as well. As for salt, you really dont need IO reef crystals because you dont want to keep demanding corals so all of the extra nutrients will be wasted on softies and LPS. I would just stick with IO sea salt. Sea salt has plenty of goodies for basic to medium diffuculty corals and even some SPS.

The eheim Jager 50w is a little small, I would get a 75w at the minimum. The light in the hood will give off some heat but I think a 75w would heat your tank well. As for powerheads I would NOT recommend getting a nano 425. Thats way too much flow for a 28g nano cube. I would get one 240gph because you dont need 20x flow with the corals you want to keep. 10x tank volume will be plenty of flow for you. Your return pump will provide a little more flow. SPS corals need 20x flow, LPS is between 10x and 15x and softies like 10x.

That hydrometer is a pile, to say the least. It wont be as accurate as a swing arm hydrometer or refractometer. Because you arent going to keeping really demanding corals you can use a hydrometer instead of a refractometer. I use the coralife hydrometer and its just as accurate as a more expensive one. It costs about 20 bucks at petsmart.

Your aquascaping sounds good. 2" is a good sand bed for burrowing critters. 25-30lbs will be a good amount of LR for that tank. Would go closer to 30lbs than 25. 4w of light will be plenty to keep softies but it might be a little on the low side for some LPS. Your stocking ideas sound pretty solid. Look forward to more pictures of the progression!

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
So I have the main stuff ordered, going with basic IO salt, API saltwater test kit, and a refractometer. I also picked up a 30# bag of araganite sand that I put in the tank, and I filled it up with tapwater for a test fill and to rinse the sand off. I'm thinking the sand may be a bit too deep and might remove some though. Once all the stuff gets here I will drain the tank so I can fill it with distilled water and start mixing it properly. I also have a co-worker willing to sell me some LR to start it off so I'll see what he's willing to let me take. Here's a pic of the test fill.

157087_10200795582954991_807895719_n.jpg

157087_10200795582954991_807895719_n.jpg

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Not only did I do my research but I'm not going to talk about being patient and then go adding new stock every couple of days after cycling for less than a week.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
CUC will be a snail only crew from reefcleaners, with the probably addition of an emerald crab and a shrimp or two.
Fish stock I thinking about a firefish, bangaii cardinalfish, percula clownfish, goby/shrimp pair, and one or two others.
Corals will be a variety of easy to take care of softies and LPS.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store