Java Fern and Anubis Help

Mason Stage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2012
Margate
I have a South Amercican Cichlid planted aquarium with driftwood, java fern, and anubias. My Java Fern and anubis does look very cosmetically appealiong...is there anyway to make these plants "greener" and grow faster?

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
I like t5 HO, most stores will have some brand in stock, and should have a daylight type bulb and a flora type bulb, evenly combine these for best viewing and growth. I don't know much about LEDs, but that's a way to go also.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
stronger light + co2 injection + fertilizer dosing = faster growth.'
you'll also start seeing neat things like it pearling off bubbles of pure oxygen.

Lights come down to budget. If you can afford them LED's are the way to go, then T5, then T12's

LED's will pay for themselves over about 2 years in lower electricity and no need to replace bulbs every 12 months

gullymania

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2011
Houston, TX
when im looking to get a growth spurt out of my anubias I'll let them float. detaching them from a rock or piece of wood can be quite easy, these are very hearty plants. You can also increase growth by cutting or poking a pin hole in the rhizome. I would only recommend doing this to healthy specimens. the results can be awesome if done correctly.

BrokenRiceCooker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 16, 2012
USA
when im looking to get a growth spurt out of my anubias I'll let them float. detaching them from a rock or piece of wood can be quite easy, these are very hearty plants. You can also increase growth by cutting or poking a pin hole in the rhizome. I would only recommend doing this to healthy specimens. the results can be awesome if done correctly.
How does that promote growth? I'm just curious because I know Anubias are pretty slow growing. If that helps, that would be something to try.

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
How does that promote growth? I'm just curious because I know Anubias are pretty slow growing. If that helps, that would be something to try.
Higher light intensity at the top of the rank. There's more co2 availiable in the atmosphere then there is in an aquarium and it may simulate a natural growth cycle within the plant

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store