Spotted Gar care?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RTCatz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2006
los angeles
i'm thinking about buy a gar to put in my 125 but can someone tell me their experience in owning this fish?

1. Are they hardy?
2. What is their behavior like??? active? aggressive? thanks!!

ospy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2006
Washington state
I've had Florida gars for years. I assume that thats what your actually going to get as they are nearly impossible to tell the differance from spotted gars. That coupled with the fact that in the tropical fish industry, Florida gars are primarily whats available. They are a very mild manered fish that gets quite large over a long period of time. They can be trained to eat just about anything including pellets. However, they are a predetor so they will also eat fish. That means if your gar can not tell the differance between his tank mates and lunch, it will become the ladder. It is also important to keep food in his belly if there are tank mates that are of the size where they are close to being snack size. They can be trained to be hand fed and once in a while I will, though you've got to be carefull, as they have very sharp teeth. If he gets you..... lets just say "ouch, and then blood". Cool fish to own. I highly recomend them.

275ti03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2006
Cali
I agree... Gars are real cool fish to keep... I've got 2 spotted gars... they get along real well with each other and their tankmates... fairly doscile and will eat just about anything that can fit in their mouth or I should say anything they can catch and fit in their mouth...

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
ospy;670454; said:
I've had Florida gars for years. I assume that thats what your actually going to get as they are nearly impossible to tell the differance from spotted gars. That coupled with the fact that in the tropical fish industry, Florida gars are primarily whats available. They are a very mild manered fish that gets quite large over a long period of time. They can be trained to eat just about anything including pellets. However, they are a predetor so they will also eat fish. That means if your gar can not tell the differance between his tank mates and lunch, it will become the ladder. It is also important to keep food in his belly if there are tank mates that are of the size where they are close to being snack size. They can be trained to be hand fed and once in a while I will, though you've got to be carefull, as they have very sharp teeth. If he gets you..... lets just say "ouch, and then blood". Cool fish to own. I highly recomend them.
I couldn't have said it better myself!!:headbang2

killerg305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
brooklyn NY
demjor19;674708;674708 said:
I couldn't have said it better myself!!:headbang2
i've had my florida gar for about a week now..he's not usually very active during the day but swims a lot at night. nd he gets along great with my oscar and pacu.he never chases fish and actually waits till their near his mouth so he can catch them i just want to know how do i train him to feed from my hand when he refuses to cum to the top..

Gar keeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
In a pond with Gars snapping at me
ospy;670454; said:
Very well stated, you will learn to love your Gar as you will see they are a pretty smart fish. ;)

OSPY... For you I recommend spell checker... It's not hard when the words are underlined in red :headbang2

Reactions: Jokerswild

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
In addition to what everybody said, I would be very careful to make it comfortable so that it does not scare and break its back, a very common issue with gar keepers....

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
My gar eats out of my hand ,is 2 months old and has grown 2".
Comes for seconds now and eat 2 fish a day.
He's still abit spooked by my oscar but snapped his tail twice,and now the oscar leaves him alone.
He just keeps his distance from my plecos.

killerg305

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2009
brooklyn NY
how do i get my spotted gar to eat out of my hand because he rarely comes to the and never chases his food he just waits till their near.. any ideas ??

Gar-Savy :D

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2009
Binghamton
Ok so this may have nothing to do with the post but i just got a Florida Gar and i was wondering if a 125 gallon tank would be ok for it ..with a couple of oscers and some other semi large fish .?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store