what would happen with these lights on my tank

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
what would happen if i used a marine glo and 10,000k bulb in my t5h0 fixture ? and had it on for mon-fri 415pm-915pm and sat-sun from 115pm to 915pm ... will it grow a fart load of algea ? what will it do to the colours of the fish (silver aro/pbass/datniod/ornate bichir/fl gar)

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
What are these lights used on? High tech planted tank? Anubias tank? Fish only tank?

And whats the K rating on the other bulb...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
^ Not true... its the bulbs that are rated 10,000K and up that are NOT suitable for freshwater tanks, 6700K - 8000K is normally considered optimal for plant growth, and then 10,000K for better light penetration... but anything over 10K and up, you have to be very careful, as anything at or over this K rating will most likely cause a lot of algae growth...

So i would say maybe swap out the bulbs for something not quite as strong, since as you said, its only fish in the tank, so you may want to find the best lighting that will help make your fish stand out more...

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
the tank has a kinda blueis tinit to it with the bulbs mentioned above, i tried em yesterday afternoon to see the look of em and they look alright i kinda like it but wanna battle algea all the time lol ...

i did have a single aqua-glo 48" same length 40watt bulb on the tank for quite awhile and that bulb is rated 18000kon it own and all i ever got was a bit of green algea on the driftwood... how do they rate bulbs for the k rating on them ? and the colour ? im still very confused on exactly how aquarium lights are rated and work

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
Read this. It should answer all your questions. Homer gave you the right advice imo.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Color_temperature
yea i had a pair of 6700 bulbs (2600 lumens) on a t8 fixture but it gives the water a yellowish look to it and im not really fond of it is all, so maybe i need some a 10000k and 8000k bulb in my t8 fixture ? t5h0 fixture is a extra one laying around and has much brighter bulbs for it here is all

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store