Sponge filter?

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
I saw some videos on YouTube of people who run sponge filters without a lift tube. Is it just as effective as using it with the lift tube?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Yep. Water gets in through the sponge and it comes out on the top of the filter...

It does not look as nive, but does not compromise efficiency.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Ok I'm gunna try it in my 15 and see how well it works

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
It is not as efficient. And the longer the lift tube the more water it moves. Easy to prove. Take a sponge filter with 2 different length lift tubes. (you can use a stub of one if you go with the no tube theory) cut a hole in an aluminum pie plate the exact diameter as the lift tube and slide it over the tube so it is just below the top of the lift tube. Fill the tank to the bottom of the pie plate and start the air pump and the timer. Do it again with the other tube for the same amount of time and measure how much water went into the pie tin. You can also do this test with and without an air stone. The smaller the bubbles the more water it will move. I don't use air stones, though, because they are a pain and it takes more air pressure.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
You may be right that it somehow affects efficiency, but it still works, if water goes through the sponge and out of the top. Water gets dispersed more quiclky, that is a fact.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
He asked if it was as effective. The answer is no. You are right, it still works. You are wrong it does not get dispersed more quickly. If it did, the pie plate would fill up quicker with no / short tube. How could it disperse quicker if it is less water?

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
He asked if it was as effective. The answer is no. You are right, it still works. You are wrong it does not get dispersed more quickly. If it did, the pie plate would fill up quicker with no / short tube. How could it disperse quicker if it is less water?

I do not agree with you nor am i going to do the pie plate experiment. If there is no tube to conduct the flow, the water starts dispersing sooner, as it leaves the filter.

But ii really is not important, nor is the difference, in a small tank, ( where these filters are used ) relevant, imho.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Ok so I tried what rodger said. Both of you are right. The sponge with out the lift (sponge a) moved less water more But sponge b moved more quickly water and seemed to complete the cycle by pushing the filtered water to the top and pushing the rest down. . I timed it for a minute and sponge b filled the bowl about a mm or so sponge a was very little water at all

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
I prefer using the lift tubes as the tubes force the clean water to a wider dispersal pattern throughout the tank. Using no tube will cause some of the cleaned water to be drawn back to the sponge immediately thereby reducing the efficiency of the filter's intent. The dispersion of the filtered water is also reduced. In long tanks, I place 90degree couplers on the ends of the lift tubes to force discharge water from the sponge filters into a cyclonic pattern to reduce dead zones (no water movement) in the aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store