Would a fx5 be overkill?

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
As I stated in a previous thread I am moving away for school and cutting down my tanks to basically two to three tanks. My mother has loves the fish and is willing to keep up with the water changes and everything. The tank will be a 55g with a pair of fire mouths a school of Cory's and a school of tetras. I already have a penguin 350 on it but if I added a fx5 would she be able to maybe do water changes every other week instead of weekly? Want to make it as easy as possible for her ! Any suggestions would be great :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
The output of the FX5 maybe to much for the fish unless you point it up agitate the water.

Jc1119

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2010
Orlando fl
Not really. Adding more filtration really won't put off the need for water changes as nitrate levels are determined by your stocking.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquaticfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2013
Colorado
Ive had fx5's on tanks as small as 40 breeders with small fish and live plants with no issues. Never was it to much output. One nice thing about the fx5 is while its gph is high its pressure comming out of the outlet is not over done.

Will it change how often you do water changes? No. Nitrates and solids are why we do them. Nitrates will still increase even with the fx5 filter.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oscaroo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
USA
If you did a fx5 and a refugiem with alge to eat the nitrate you could do wcs once a month...

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Hmm..... I didn't even think of adding a refugiem.... That sounds like a good idea.
Or just add pothos...same concept, just was easier and practically free

Z Trip

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Canada
I find a fluval 406 plenty of circulation for a 55 gallon. I would never do a fx5, way too much power.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store