How to create a vortex?

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Hi,

I have a 2080, and a 2217 running on my tank with a spraybar at each end and inlets at each end.

I have a film on the top of my water, i think it is residual protein as i have nothing breaking the surface of the water.

I cannot stand the sound of running water so I cant move the spraybars about the waterline to break the surface, also i cannot fit a HOB, my tank does not allow for it!

Is there any way i can either make a diy surface skimmer that i can attach to the inlet of the 2217, or is there some way to create a vortex that will suck the film down into the tank to allow the filters to collect it?

thanks

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
You could switch to a drilled tank with overflows.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
You could switch to a drilled tank with overflows.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
thats not really an option...i just got the tank! is there any way i can drill the tank with my fish in it?

also overflows will not pic up all the crap from my plecos will it?

thanks

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
Did you try rotating the spraybar so it slightly ripples the water surface AND doesn't make any noise? This method can be done with the spraybar located under the water surface.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
thats not really an option...i just got the tank! is there any way i can drill the tank with my fish in it?

also overflows will not pic up all the crap from my plecos will it?

thanks
No you cannot drill a tank filled with water and fish

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

4D3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2013
Australia
Did you try rotating the spraybar so it slightly ripples the water surface AND doesn't make any noise? This method can be done with the spraybar located under the water surface.
yeah i have my bars on both end rippling the water surface but no good.

I need something to break the waterline, i.e. create a vortex or a surface skimmer that allows inlet from the top as well as the bottom!

Any ideas?

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store