Diseased Gars

creativityasaweapon

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Some background: We had two 14" FLG in our 450 and recently recieved two more at around 18". The two newer ones looked a little rough when we got them, a little tattered and a little blood from the scales that I thought was from the rough handling they recieved to get into the tank. After a while they started to perk up and look better sans a little torn fins from our leporinus being a jerk. Well, yesterday morning before work I fed a bit of food and checked on everyone and all looked good. I came home to find one of the 18"ers floating dead and one of the smaller ones completely covered in fuzz, milky eyes, white, and a severely swollen tongue. I discarded the dead fish and did a 50% water change, but midway through, the gar spazzed and died. Now the two remaining gars are completely covered in fuzz and are lethargic. The strange thing is that all the tankmates: two 18" Limas, an 8" scomb, two little lace cats and a four line all look perfect. (we found a new home for the leporinus in fear of more damage)

I'm under the impression that if there is a bacteria present that the barbels on the cats would start to deteriorate, but they are flawless. They all ate about 5 handfuls of massivore and are still hungry today. The gars are the only ones affected. Is there a chance that the gars given to us had a bacteria that possibly adapted to only gars (they had no tankmates)? This may seem far fetched, but I have no idea why some of the sturdiest fish we own are being taken down. I also have no idea of what could do this in 11 hours!

Before WC (I have no idea how long the gar was dead before finding it)
Ammonia- 0
Nitrite- 0
Nitrate- 60-75

If anyone has any input or knows of some super gar-killing virus, it's greatly appreciated!

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
It had cloudy eye but it's unlikely that it cause it to die.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Only time I'm had fuzz on a gar is when something damaged the slime coat. Usually this is caused by another fish either trying to eat the gar or suck on it's slime coat. Any of the other inhabitants attacking the gar?

As far as treating I would bump the temperature in the tank and add salt.

creativityasaweapon

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
Chippewa Falls, Wisconsin
Well, the consensus on leporinus is that they are slime coat eaters. Add that to the fact that gars are easy targets makes me think that's what happened.
This is what the current gars look like.
uploadfromtaptalk1363786829333.jpg

As far as bumping the temp up, the tank is in my basement, which is pretty frigid and I'm having a hard time getting the tank over 74... I have 1000 watts in there, but it seems like only one heater is consistently on. Time to invest in a controller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store