Aquarium salt dispenser?

Shark123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2013
Canada
Hello, I remember seeing an aquarium salt dispenser at my LFS, do they exist? Or would the closest thing be a auto top off system.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Hello, I remember seeing an aquarium salt dispenser at my LFS, do they exist? Or would the closest thing be a auto top off system.
An ATO delivers fresh water to an aquarium for evaporation.
I have never heard of a salt dispenser and it wouldn't be a good idea if they did exist. Putting unmixed salt into your tank is a bad idea. The granules can get into fish gills and coral mouths and kill them. Always pre mix your salt.

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
An ATO delivers fresh water to an aquarium for evaporation.
I have never heard of a salt dispenser and it wouldn't be a good idea if they did exist. Putting unmixed salt into your tank is a bad idea. The granules can get into fish gills and coral mouths and kill them. Always pre mix your salt.

What if you have an automated water changer and you do an automated salt dispenser in a sump? Might work in that situation.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
What if you have an automated water changer and you do an automated salt dispenser in a sump? Might work in that situation.
No. You always want your water pre mixed outside of the water colomn. I always let my water heat up and mix for atleast 24hrs in a Rubbermaid tub.

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
You don't want to top off with SW anyways because when the water evaporate it leaves the minerals behind. You only want to top off with RO/DI water and only add new SW when you are doing water changes and physically siphon water out of the tank.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Try one of those water softners that use salt.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Not the same salt.

tomomothy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
You don't want to top off with SW anyways because when the water evaporate it leaves the minerals behind. You only want to top off with RO/DI water and only add new SW when you are doing water changes and physically siphon water out of the tank.
Of course. I was referring to the drip systems. I think i said auto top off but i meant a drip system with overflow to drainage. I guess my idea for the sump dispenser isn't good for an actual salt water tank

Sent from my SCH-I510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store