Want to try salt water again.

bruster

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Danville VA
I want to try and do a salt water tank again. It has been some years since I had my 29 gal set up. This time I was thinking of going smaller and setting up the 6 gal Fuval. Will this be more trouble then its worth?

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
I want to try and do a salt water tank again. It has been some years since I had my 29 gal set up. This time I was thinking of going smaller and setting up the 6 gal Fuval. Will this be more trouble then its worth?
Small tanks are a lot harder to maintain. You could use your 6gal and have a 15 or 20gal sump then it's a different story. The less water the harder it is. You have a lot less time before all of your water would be contaminated and the fluctuations are a lot more aggressive. Were you thinking FO or reef?

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bruster

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Danville VA
Was just thinking of some love rock and maybe two fish.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Was just thinking of some love rock and maybe two fish.
That would be pretty easy with just the 6 gallons. I would put an ac30 or ac50 on it for filtration and circulation.

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

bruster

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Danville VA
Would I have to do anything different to the filter that came on it and light?

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
The filter will be ok since the live rock and sand bed will be doing all of your bio-filtration. The CUC will then take care of most of the mechanical need. You could use the HOB as a refugeum and grow cheato if you want to add that, many people do to help cut down on nitrate levels. A protein skimmer would be about the only other thing you might want to add. If you're going to do a FOWLER then the light will be ok since it only will be there for you to see inside, the fish won't care that much. If you want corals though then you'll have to upgrade it to something more powerful.

bruster

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2007
Danville VA
What kind of light will fit with that size tank that isn't insanely expensive. What is HOB? Sorry some of these abreveations stump me. My plan is to buy the per mix water instead of mixing myself. But also looking at the evaporation it may be best that I mix.

Runitis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg,MB, Canada
What kind of light will fit with that size tank that isn't insanely expensive. What is HOB? Sorry some of these abreveations stump me. My plan is to buy the per mix water instead of mixing myself. But also looking at the evaporation it may be best that I mix.
Hob means hang on the back. When water evaporates you don't put new mixed saltwater. You put fresh water in the salt doesn't evaporate. Its only a 6g so I don't know one of those led marineland ones :s

My fish life is sparked up with Polys :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store