Ich <again>

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
This morning I saw that my jawfish decided to go carpet surfing after seeing a few white spots in him the other day. Now today I see my puffer and clown both have a few ich like spots. What are my options as far as QT tanks go? I treated these guys in hypo about 3 months ago, and got rid of their ich, I guess it didn't fully die off in the DT. Will I be able to do hypo again without hurting the fish?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
I think so. Although the only way to get rid of the ever present sw ich is to go without fish for a period needed for the beasts to complete their cycle and die.

A couple years ago i managed with a very low copper med and i managed to affect the bb the least possible....nowadays i do not know what other solutions you guys have in sw..

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
I didn't know ich happened In saltwater. That sucks. My pickerel got it a little while back. I used some copper stuff and it worked great. He lived and none of my other fish got it. Good luck.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Well I had it 6 months ago and got rid of it, a few must have lived in the DT over the 1.5-2 month period of hypo and reinfected the fish. I can't do copper either since it is a reef tank.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
With reef, no copper. You are aboslutely right there. I only did in my predatory fish tank. Just had live rock in there...

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Well I had it 6 months ago and got rid of it, a few must have lived in the DT over the 1.5-2 month period of hypo and reinfected the fish. I can't do copper either since it is a reef tank.

Ick is always present, it just wether or not its triggered. Have you changed or added anything lately? What are your water params? Something is stressing the fish out that are getting ick.

Sent from my HTC One V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Hang on let me get my discussion cap and research. <will he continued in 20 min>

doveandgrenade

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2012
Canada
Same thing happened to me this morning. My big lion fish broke out over night and so did my clown triggerfish. Removed the clown trigger and the lion fish is starting to look better but not fully still. Now I gotta figure out what to do with my clown trigger. He never went near the lion so not sure why he was a stress. As said previously, find out whats stressing the fish and they'll cure themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Ok first I will start off with my Q's:
1: what size of a QT for a 2.2 in Valentini and 1.5 in clown.
2: should I do hypo or copper
3: could some small clumps if chaeto and coral frags transferred about 2 weeks before ich showed transfer ich to another tank?

History of the tank for the last month or so.
~3 weeks ago: aiptasia eating filefish died for no apparent reason. He was eating well, and had no visible signs of disease.
2 weeks ago: added the jawfish to the DT, he looked very healthy with no disease.
Yesterday: noticed a few white spots on the jawfish and lighter, almost black spots on his dorsal fin.
Today: jawfish went floor surfing and I noticed ich in the clown + puffer (the remaining stock)

I will get perms later tonight.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
These guys are also the most chill fish I have (except at night, I think the puffer is scared of the dark, and he flips out when the lights go out, and only calms down once he attaches to the glass and sleeps.) As for feeding I am trying to give them the best food possible, I am feeding gut loaded mysis, formula 1 RDF, table shrimp, and squid.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store