"potable hot water heater"= safe tank water, Right?

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
Recently read in a post here: "water from hot water heaters contains contaminants not safe for water changes".
but we replaced our water heater 4 yrs ago, splurging $ for one labeled glass lined inside and "potable water". So it must be safe, Yes?

It is a Bradford White M45036F-SX-700
The old one was horribly corroded, so I'm sure it was Not safe for fish.

I always adjust my wc's (with indoor hose hookups) for near tank temps.
The plumber said everyone in our area should completely empty & flush out hot water heaters once or twice a year, to limit hard mineral sediment. but that's all.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
my plumber was no French model, I can tell you that for sure!

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
water coming out of heater. ... should be safe YOU ARE CONSUMING IT:popcorn:

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
no habla français. LOL

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
LMAO @ clockwork. Bonjour indeed. :D

Some people have (IMHO incorrectly) assumed that certain heavy metals from their hot water tank may have been the cause to some of their sick fish over the years, so they only use cold water during water changes. Where I live that would mean adding tap water that for 6 months of the year is approx 50 °F.

The reality is that most natural bodies of water contain heavy metals, but again, the amounts are generally so low that they will have no short term, and very few if any long term effects on most tropical fish kept in captivity, especially if one has harder/higher calcium levels in their tank water. In fish, toxicity of metals is affected by calcium which reduces the toxic effect of a metal through competitive inhibition at the gill surface. The non toxic calcium ion competes with the toxic metals for the same binding sites thereby reducing and/or eliminating any potential toxic effects on a fish.

The moral of the story is if one is overly concerned about heavy metal toxicity originating from their hot water tank, and their tap water is low or void of calcium, they should probably just add some crushed coral or crushed oyster shells to their filters and call it a day.

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
RD, I assumed that the "heavy metals" people are worried about from water heaters involve heaters which are leaching metals. My previous old rotting unit probably did that. but wc's never killed fish ;-)
I don't know my gh/kh, but ph is 7.7 to 7.8., and get hard water deposits on everything.
So, between the two considerations, my warmed water must be fine.
We neglect the plumbers' flushing orders. My hot water ph and cold tap ph are both the same.
At high altitude, my water is also too cold for wc's during much of the year.

Anyway, for the forum: looks like water from a glass lined heater is just as safe as it's original source.
Thanks.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
In an older HW tank you will probably have more issues with rust, than anything else. And rust is fairly easy to see in ones tap water when an older tank begins to go.

http://www.burnedatthedoor.com/facts-myths.php

There's probably more copper leaching from older homes (with copper pipes) than there is from older HW tanks. But even copper is a non issue in older homes with calcium in the tap water as the pipes will have a build up on the inside thereby preventing the warmer water from ever reaching the copper.

Best preventative maintenance with regards to metal toxicty and water changes is to run your tap for a few minutes before filling your tank as this will prevent using any water that has been sitting in the pipes for an extended period of time. I do the same thing when I make coffee in the morning. :)

petspoiler

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
rural Calif.
had to re-route the pipes because of repeated leaks, so no more copper.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store