Any octopus keepers?

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Do any of you keep octopus or similar creatures? I don't plan on keeping one right now, but maybe in a future tank. I'd love to see what your octopus tanks look like and what you've got with it.

Thanks!
Skatin707

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
For the 'tank mates' - keep nothing other than fish you don't mind becoming food. Depending on what species of octopus you get, sometimes you can get away with stars and urchins. That's about it. They are awesome at killing and eating tank mates.

As for set ups, all you need is a tank with a tight lid and places to hide. Fine mesh screens over the suction for the filters so it can't get in and dim/low light levels.

turbo253

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2009
new york
I don't personally keep them at home but I almost always a have and octo or a cuttlefish at my store. I also care for a clients GPO Witch has a set up much like Matt suggested.

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
I've had a friend with cephalopods namley a dwarf cuttle and a bimac inklet. They were species only tanks, if you're looking for a cephalopod like an octopus, I'd strongly suggest a cuttlefish instead, they're just as about intelligent and don't try to escape the tank. My friend also has a couple softies with his cuttle, it's interesting to see them hang onto xenias and change color. But one last piece of advice, cuttles and octopi for the home aquarium have a natural lifespan of only 1 year, some even shorter. *Exception is the giant pacific octopus, a cold water giant that lives for 5+ years, but get way too big for most aquariums.

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
My wife, biologist, was telling me about the life span. I'd love to try them sometime, a species only tank would be no problem. I've got plenty of empty tanks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
If I were you, i'd go for a dwarf cuttle or a bimac inklet in a smaller tank, with adequate swimming space. Or you could try the flamboyant cuttle, but they are getting more rare in their natural habitat, so I'm not sure they would be a environmentally friendly choice. Otherwise, I'm sure you'll be able to find pics of these tanks at a forum called tonmo, there are lots of pics and stuff there, however I'm not on that forum but I have a friend who is. Good luck!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store