Chicx's Goonch Cats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
Edit 2- I'm re-appropriating this thread for continued documentation of my goonch catfishes. Go here for the 2018 continuation:

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/posts/8016077/

=====================

EDIT- As it has become apparent to me that I got the ID of this fish WAY wrong, I'm updating this original post. As it turns out, this fish is in fact Bagarius rutilus as Estarego8 and I originally supposed. In fact, it is becoming apparent that ALL dwarf goonches may in fact be young rutilus. For reasons expounded on in my difficulty to ID your goonch thread, I'm beginning to suspect that there is a decent chance that there might not even be a proper dwarf goonch species. Guess I shouldn't have doubted myself lol. Also, it's worth noting that I arbitrarily decided that this fish is a female and that her name is Ardat Lili, or Dottie for short. The theory behind that name was that since she was "she" and a devil catfish, she should have the name of a demon. Since at the time of her naming I thought she was a dwarf, I gave her the name of a minor demon, in this case a female who was Lilith's handmaiden.

=====================

Well wasn't this a surprise! I came home to find a giant box on my doorstep with a goonch in it! :D I wasn't expecting it and it reminded me of an orphan abandoned on your steps lol

I've been working a deal with MFK member cgibby for quite some time for this fish. I've had a rough couple of days and haven't been checking the forum or my email very often. I went out to do some errands today and came home to this guy on my porch. Collin emailed me to let me know it was on its way, I just didn't see the email lol.

Thanks man!

This was a very pleasant surprise. After my old trusty pickup truck gave up the ghost in the middle of a snowstorm two days ago which left me and my two month old sitting in the cold and which also caused me to have to throw enormous amounts of money at the problem (buying a new truck), this was a very nice way to wrap up the past few days!

The goonch arrived healthy and in good shape. It is one of the Jeff Rapps Thai goonches from a few months back. After being able to put my hands on the fish and really examine it, I'm fairly certain that the fish is in fact a dwarf goonch. There's something thats lost when you look at pictures as opposed to actually examining the fish. I'm calling mine a dwarf goonch. If it ends up getting huge that will prove me wrong, but I don't expect that to happen.

Since I feel it's an adult dwarf goonch, I don't expect it'll have much growing to do in his growout thread lol.

I first floated the fish for about 15 minutes to equalize the temperature in his bag to that of the tank. Once the water was the same, I took the bag out of the tank, put it back in the box and pulled the fish out. Yes, I grabbed it and examined it. Based on the morphology of the head, the anal fin and the caudal peduncle and caudal fin, I'm certain this fish is Roberts' dwarf goonch. What strikes me as odd is that even though this is a dwarf, it has yellowish orange fins. After a cursorial examination, I held it in the tank in front of the flow from my AC110. After about 15 seconds of this, it calmly swam off.

I really need to decide if I'm going to use a masculine or feminine gender specific pronoun for this fish (him or her). I also need a name for it. :/

When it went into the tank, it first just sat on the bottom facing away from the current. As you'd expect, this didn't work out well for it so it swam off to find a good hidey-hole. In its exploration, it found my Brachyplatystoma juruense, Ginger. Ginger did NOT like it at first and chased it all over the tank. It was kinda funny. After a while, Ginger realized that it was OK and not a threat and didn't bother it anymore. After a half hour, they were 'nuggling. D'aww.

Anyhoo, on to the pics:

Is that a goonch I see?
20130328newgooncha.jpg

It is! It is! *SQUEEE*
20130328newgoonchb.jpg

Acclimatizing
20130328newgoonchc.jpg

Still acclimatizing
20130328newgoonchd.jpg

20130328newgoonche.jpg

20130328newgoonchf.jpg

Ginger says "what'choo doin' in my tank, you punk ass catfish?!"
20130328newgoonchg.jpg

"Thats right, hide in that log!"
20130328newgoonchh.jpg

"Ya know, you're actually kinda cute!"
20130328newgoonchi.jpg

"C'mere you :D"
20130328newgoonchj.jpg

BFFs <3
20130328newgoonchk.jpg

20130328newgooncha.jpg 20130328newgoonchb.jpg 20130328newgoonchc.jpg 20130328newgoonchd.jpg 20130328newgoonche.jpg 20130328newgoonchf.jpg 20130328newgoonchg.jpg 20130328newgoonchh.jpg 20130328newgoonchi.jpg 20130328newgoonchj.jpg 20130328newgoonchk.jpg

Last edited:

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
hey you finally got it! good for you bro he/she looks amazing :thumbsup: and that juru....WOW

cgibby

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2011
U.S.
look'n good sir that was kind of a shoddy packing job but made due with what I had that wound healed up fairly well too not much scaring fins are a little tattered from my achara probably needs to be fed after settling in been about three days loves live prawns or ghost shrimp but should take massivore as well

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aweshade9

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2012
USA
What of the chances of it being B. lica? You said that it looked different than the thai goonches (which are rutilus in my opinion) you seen, and that's about the same area from what I know. B. suchus seems very elongated compared the other goonch species. That leaves only two other southeast Asian species B. lica and the dwarf. I can't find any info about lica, but I can't find a great deal of info about the dwarf. So what do you think?

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
hey you finally got it! good for you bro he/she looks amazing :thumbsup: and that juru....WOW
Yeah Ginger's a stunner! I just wish she'd stop getting her streamer chopped off in the powerheads lol... It normally gets to about two feet long then CHOP lol

look'n good sir that was kind of a shoddy packing job but made due with what I had that wound healed up fairly well too not much scaring fins are a little tattered from my achara probably needs to be fed after settling in been about three days loves live prawns or ghost shrimp but should take massivore as well

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Nah it was packed fine. I've seen many worse, not many better. :) It worked at least!

you got a free goonch?
Yep. cgibby's achara was beating it up and it needed to be rehomed. :D

That's awesome! Love the dialog, lol!
:thumbsup: :D

What of the chances of it being B. lica? You said that it looked different than the thai goonches (which are rutilus in my opinion) you seen, and that's about the same area from what I know. B. suchus seems very elongated compared the other goonch species. That leaves only two other southeast Asian species B. lica and the dwarf. I can't find any info about lica, but I can't find a great deal of info about the dwarf. So what do you think?
Doubtful. The B. lica have a fat, sausage looking body rather like a channel cat and a large-ish tail and a huge head that has a flat profile from the tip of the nose to the dorsal fin, rather like the Indian fish. This little fish has a small head with a curved and convex topline profile and a long, thin body with an elongate teardrop shape and a tiny tail. To me, there's only one thing this could be, a dwarf goonch. :)

Oh and the bite of this fish feels like that of a comparably sized trout.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store