Just found this... ID please?

amacnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2012
Canada
Found this in my tank... And about 6 more that are Just like it. If anyone has an ID that would be most helpful. I don't even know where to start searching for what this could be. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1364598257.265941.jpg

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
First one is a bristle worm, the second one probably causes cancer or eats brains.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

amacnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2012
Canada
Well thank you. Those both sound like great things to have in a tank. According to my research they aren't bad to have? And I can leave them in the tank?

The second worm is a little worrying however. It is scary looking.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Yes, that type of bristle worm is fine, or so I hear. I hope you got the sarcasm on my second ID :). Can you get a better pic? Maybe try and catch it with some chopsticks and put I in a jar?

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Depending on the species of Bristleworm, it may or may not be harmless. Not all are, as some can eat coral, small fish/inverts, and even cause a burning pain when touched. But by the looks of it, it would *appear* to be just a simple Bristleworm - they mix up the substrate, and feed on left overs. Some find them helpful, some find them to be an ugly nuisance. Your call as to what your opinion is of course.

And the second...not a clue. o_O

amacnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2012
Canada
Thanks a ton folks. I'm gonna try to find the second one and put it in a jar, it is very scary looking. The mouth actually kinda looks like the opening of a feather duster... Except it is much scarier looking.

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Yes, that type of bristle worm is fine, or so I hear. I hope you got the sarcasm on my second ID :). Can you get a better pic? Maybe try and catch it with some chopsticks and put I in a jar?

I agree that its not a bad species. I wouldn't keep it in the display tank though. Throw him in your sump if you have one

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store