Ginger the flash zebra catfish (Brachyplatystoma juruense) growout thread

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
This is a fish I've had for some time that I've not given enough attention to on MFK. I've had Ginger since I think July. I got her from Mike at Rte 4 Aquarium at about 6" long or so. I didn't realize just how much she's grown until I was looking back through pictures to prepare this thread.

She's grown about 4-5 inches now I reckon. I feel she's 10-11 inches long now, minus streamers. Speaking of streamers... This fish gets some nice ones. However, she can't seem to keep them. Every 4-6 weeks after she gets some really nice streamers going she tends to always get her streamers stuck in a powerhead and having it chopped off. At its longest, I think her top steamer was about two feet long. I'd love to see just how long the streamers would get if she could keep her tail out of the powerheads lol.

She normally gets fed fillets of fish. In the summer I feed her what I catch fishing but through the winter she gets store bought trout, salmon or tilapia, whatever is cheapest. I don't powerfeed her; I only feed her once ever 3-5 days whenever her belly gets flat.

On to the pictures:

Aug 5, 2012
ginger20120805.jpg

24 Oct 2012
ginger20121024.jpg

4 Nov 2012
ginger20121104.jpg

5 Dec 2012. Really nice colors, tail in the powerhead lol
ginger20121205.jpg

20 Dec 2012
ginger20121220.jpg

28 Mar 2013, with the new goonch cat.
20130328newgoonchi.jpg

Tonight, 31 Mar 2013 showing pretty good colors. I think its odd just how wildly the colors on a jur can vary from day to day. I think she's gotten the typical Brachyplatystoma smashed face syndrome. :( Poor thing. It doesn't seem bad, though. Note the one grain of sand on her forehead, too. :lol2:
20130331ginger.jpg

ginger20120805.jpg

ginger20121024.jpg

ginger20121104.jpg

ginger20121205.jpg

ginger20121220.jpg

20130331ginger.jpg

20130328newgoonchi.jpg

exoticfishguy

Candiru
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
somewhere
Isn't your catfish a regular juruenese?

I read somewhere that the flash tigers are the same fish but come from the Nanay River.

Supposedly the waters there are super soft and that contributes to the bright yellow color you see in pictures sometimes.

I have a 17" flash tiger collected from the Nanay and it's color and patterns are a bit different than yours.

Check it out...

Your looks to have more of a white color in it's stripes whereas mine are yellow but not super bright like in a lot of photos.

flashtiger1.jpg

weirdfishlover

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 2, 2010
< The Red Dot >
I agree with "exoticfishguy" that your cat is just a conventional B.Juruense and NOT a flash zebra.

Notice the difference in stripe pattern and coloration between both of them.

Also, the dead giveaway is the head structure; Flash have a much wide and flat snout structure whereas your typical Juruense just have a much smaller and narrower snout structure.

weirdfishlover

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 2, 2010
< The Red Dot >
The mouth on mine is wider and flatter but I think that's mainly because it is a much larger specimen...check the photo:
Nope; this structure is the trademark of ID-ing a Flash zebra (at least this was a reputable LFS owner taught me about identification for this species)

The lips are also thicker if u compare closely.

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
Isn't your catfish a regular juruenese?

I read somewhere that the flash tigers are the same fish but come from the Nanay River.

Supposedly the waters there are super soft and that contributes to the bright yellow color you see in pictures sometimes.

I have a 17" flash tiger collected from the Nanay and it's color and patterns are a bit different than yours.

Check it out...

Your looks to have more of a white color in it's stripes whereas mine are yellow but not super bright like in a lot of photos.
holy over stocked tank batman!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store