URGENT HELP!! REGAL TANG PANTING

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi All,

Need Some Urgent help if possible, I got a regal tang and a percula clown fish yesterday, I put these in my new marine tank to cycle the filter with, however today the tang is panting incredibly fast and I cant work out why? I checked for ammonia, nitrate, ntrite etc and all seems ok? I am using salted RO water that I purchased from a shop?

Here is a video, any ideas?

[YT]http://youtu.be/q05USgG1SFE[/YT]

http://youtu.be/q05USgG1SFE

Cheers
Sam

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Hi All,

Need Some Urgent help if possible, I got a regal tang and a percula clown fish yesterday, I put these in my new marine tank to cycle the filter with, however today the tang is panting incredibly fast and I cant work out why? I checked for ammonia, nitrate, ntrite etc and all seems ok? I am using salted RO water that I purchased from a shop?

Here is a video, any ideas?

[YT]http://youtu.be/q05USgG1SFE[/YT]

http://youtu.be/q05USgG1SFE

Cheers
Sam
How old is the tank

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
Most people choose to try and cycle a new tank with cheaper fish like damsels. You might want to check the amount of oxygen in the water, do you have a sump?

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

doveandgrenade

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2012
Canada
I wouldn't put a blue regal tang in a tank under a year old. I learned that the hard way. They're so fragile and stress so hard that you'll have non stop problems of it makes it.
You should use smaller fish to cycle.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
It could be the start of ich or marine velvet. Any rubbing or flashing? Have you also checked your pH? And what is your salinity level?

sam_everist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hertfordshire, UK
Hi All,

thanks for the comments... looks like I was miss informed by my LFS, Basically I went in to get a damsel and a percula clown as I read on the internet these are very hardy fish, whilst in there with the mrs she obviously saw this fish that is from that bloody film finding nemo and wanted it, I was so glad that she was finally expressing an interest in fish so I asked the guy int he shop if it is a tough fish ok for cycling and he said yup fine. sounds like she is not going to make it in the long haul?

It is not sumped no and is only a small tank with an internal filter.

I think I found the problem... temperature, where the heater is too big for the tank it was getting the tank way to warm around 28 deg, so I have now taken the heater out and just sat next to some warm pipes... is sitting much better at 22 now.

PH was 8 i believe. need to check salinity but as I say the water was purchased from LFS.

Cheers

cichlid_king

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2011
Fond du lac, Wisconsin
Hi All,

thanks for the comments... looks like I was miss informed by my LFS, Basically I went in to get a damsel and a percula clown as I read on the internet these are very hardy fish, whilst in there with the mrs she obviously saw this fish that is from that bloody film finding nemo and wanted it, I was so glad that she was finally expressing an interest in fish so I asked the guy int he shop if it is a tough fish ok for cycling and he said yup fine. sounds like she is not going to make it in the long haul?

It is not sumped no and is only a small tank with an internal filter.

I think I found the problem... temperature, where the heater is too big for the tank it was getting the tank way to warm around 28 deg, so I have now taken the heater out and just sat next to some warm pipes... is sitting much better at 22 now.

PH was 8 i believe. need to check salinity but as I say the water was purchased from LFS.

Cheers
28 degrees isn't crazy high but it is higher than normal. I think the main problem is the tank itself. Its too new. The salinity is always the first thing you check

Sent from my XT901 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Random question, do you have a grounding probe in your tank?

I didn't and the fish I trasnfered with my tank were exhibiting symptoms identical to this. I took my fish to the LFS to stay for a while, got the probe, brought them back and they were fine. The probe gave me time to find my loose voltage (crappy marineland heater, replaced with eheim jager 300w).

Pfisherman

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2006
Sandwich, Illinois
your lfs sold you a tang for a small tank and for an uncycled tank :nono:

blue hippo tangs are shy and hide alot to generally, and thats just the begining. they are prone to ich and other horrible diseases and would like a 125g tank and have NO PLACE in a tank smaller than a 75 in any circumstance.... now off my soap box.

take those fish back to your lfs and get a refund. this place cares more about your money than anything else. would you please post your tank size, and we would be glad to help you get started right. i will even help you do a live fish cycle with a fish that you will enjoy having in your tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store