my florida gar wont eat

rattlermike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
sandy,utah
i have a 9 inch florida gar and for the life of me i cant get the thing to eat. He is housed with 2 lg arrowana and they are quite the brutes . also in there aquarium is a motoro stingray a bricher ell,a shovel nose cat and a few little parrots . dose any one have a clue to what he will eat i have tryed every thing at my dispose shrimp,silversides,krill,live worms,and feeder fish.
please help

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
Try live crickets dropped o to the surface near him. A couple questions though, have you had him long, how much bigger are the aros, did he just stop eating or has he not yet started to eat for you, and last does he have any cover like elodea or pond lilies?

M|L

the asian
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2005
MY LITTLE WORLD
www.facebook.com
gars are the easiest fish to wean off live food.

here's the trick, drop in more food in the tank than usual so the gar would have a chance to get it.

it'll start eating after a few days of starving, don't worry.

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
Gars aren't always easy to wean off of live food... :p But I agree with Ming, drop in more food... Freeze-dried krill has always worked as a great first prepared gar food for me. :)

rattlermike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
sandy,utah
the arros are about 16 and 18 inches i have tryed to over feed the tank but he wont take . i have had him about two weeks and he has ate nothing at all , i wil just wait and see... thanks

BGG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Ohio
By the way, I just saw where you're from... I just moved from Logan utah this last week! I'm assuming that you bought him online?

wism_chan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2005
SG
As you feed other fishes....let your gar starve itself first....
when hungry sure it will compete for food with the other fishes....
try to put more live food when you feed the fishes...so that the gar has enough time to grab the food also.....

rattlermike

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
sandy,utah
still no luck, i got him threw a wholesaler in flordia.. the fish are in one of my large show tanks at a retail store i manage in sandy called the aquarium

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store