True Alligator gars (Atractosteus spatula)

Status
Not open for further replies.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
hello, i noticed on your list you have alligator gars 'tank raised', are these in fact the true alligator gar (Atractosteus spatula)? please see comparison image for reference:

i wanted to make sure before placing an order as fish stores and suppliers have often sold Florida gars and other fishes as alligator gars. if you indeed have the alligator gar i would be interested in ordering a few. thanks for any info--

Darin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2005
Cleveland, OH
That is what we have in stock, only smaller in size right now.
We have florida gars also and they look nothing like the alligator in my opinion.
Thanks, Tfd.

jerppyjerp

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2006
Trout Island
This is called alligator gar...no spots? What's the difference?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Peanut_Power;698235; said:
awwww....sol. found his fishies!! What a happy endin!! :D
unfortunately no, no one has true alligator gars (juveniles) right now. all alligator gars that are posted on various sites in the US (in terms of young of the year fish) are in fact Florida gars. still looking--
--solomon

Sarcosuchus

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2006
Everywhere
I baught one without knowing what I baught. After I realized it was an Alligator Gar I went back to the LFS to change with a Florida Gar. Below is the picture of that Alligator Gar which I named Sarcosuchus, awesome fish. Too bad I had to change since it would grow too big and I can't handle that right now.

Sarcosuchus bathing the sunlight.jpg

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
OddBaller;703026; said:
i think these were the ones you looking for...... sorry not available.......
yup, those would be alligator gars :) unfortunately they seem to be only seasonally available, even though they are farmed in Asia. hopefully the US stocks will be back up this year, so we'll have some available directly. until then i'll still be keeping an eye out for them--
--solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store