Panther Grouper can't swim

Airgoose2222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Altus, America
I bought a Panther Grouper (about 3 inches) this past weekend and he jus sits at the bottom of the tank all day. He has eaten a couple live fish since then, so eating and catching good is not an issue. He just doesn't swim. There are 3 other fish in there with him... Narrow lined puffer, volitan lion, and spotted grouper. All about same size with the lion being the largest but doesn't mess with anybody. Tank has been set up for a while and the other fish swim normally. He tries to swim, but always just sinks to the bottom and lies there. ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1365116552.692444.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
panther groups like to "perch" themselves on rockwork - I see no rockwork however the inability to swim is usually swim bladder issues with no real cure other than salt it's self. If he was swimming in the store perhaps you didn't acclimate the fish properly and it went into ph shock were the body cannot preform proper homeostasis til it gets used to the new water parameters - if you got it thru the mail - best of luck

woofy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 2, 2007
Miami
Ive never really seen a panther grouper to perch themselves. Ive always seen them act like most ambush predators in that they swim in one spot and from spot to spot. A pg sitting on the bottom tells me swim bladder or disease.

Airgoose2222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Altus, America
He wasn't really swimming in the store I bought him in. Prettying doing the same thing. I have my daughter's for spring break and they picked it out. Wish I would've known his issues, but they liked him, so we got him. I'm thinking it must be a swim bladder issue then. Bummer!!

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
This is just a suggestion but did it have a hollow looking belly at the shop? If so it could've been starved, I've seen something similar with the same fish. It was fat and happy at first but I was sure the owner never fed it enough and after a while the poor thing couldn't swim properly.:(

Airgoose2222

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2009
Altus, America
Didn't really notice that in the store. It looked healthy. I've upped his diet to more frequent feelings and he seems to be getting stronger. I added a Powerhead for some more current to see if that would get him moving in some current. This seemed to have helped. Today he swam near the Powerhead all day facing it and figuring out how his fins work... Lol. Thank you for that observation and it seems that he needs a little more food than some if the other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store