Alligator Gar

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
How large do alligator gar get in captivity? I know they can get up to 10 feet or more in the wild. Also could an alligator gar live in a 500+ gallon for life? Or a 700+ for life?

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
A 500 gallon tank is good for a very long time.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Ok cool, I am having a custom 750 gallon made and I will have by summer :D Do you possibly know how large gator gars get in captivity though?
They do get very big. I'm not an expert. They can easily get to 3 feet. 4 feet is very possible but rare. Usually the world record 10 footers are decades of years old.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
They do get very big. I'm not an expert. They can easily get to 3 feet. 4 feet is very possible but rare. Usually the world record 10 footers are decades of years old.
Ok thanks for the info, and in your opinion would an GATF make a better pet than an alligator gar? Or the other way around? I can't decide and I could use the help of some other people.

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Ok thanks for the info, and in your opinion would an GATF make a better pet than an alligator gar? Or the other way around? I can't decide and I could use the help of some other people.
GATF for sure. Once you get them on pellets they are more sociable then a Gator gar meaning that you have more you can put with them. I think that GATF are more impressive looking as well.

Deubie Doo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2012
Rootstown, Ohio
www.facebook.com
I have both the Gatf and alligator gar. I love my gar, he's so easy going, eats everything anytime. I like my Goliath but he is so skidish and freaks out when you do anything to the tank and will go on hunger strikes every now and then and will pick on other fish if he's Hungary. Yeah the Goliaths impressive when seen at a large size but that's because thire rarely seen large since they normally kill them selfs befor they get the chance to.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I have both the Gatf and alligator gar. I love my gar, he's so easy going, eats everything anytime. I like my Goliath but he is so skidish and freaks out when you do anything to the tank and will go on hunger strikes every now and then and will pick on other fish if he's Hungary. Yeah the Goliaths impressive when seen at a large size but that's because thire rarely seen large since they normally kill them selfs befor they get the chance to.
How would they kill themself?

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
How would they kill themself?
They are skittish so they slam into tank walls.

Someone on here has a huge one in his tank. Cool thread awesome read but i dont know where it is lol. someone might

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store