Received a new unexpected fish, now what? (Flounder)

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone

I went flounder fishing yesterday and ended up catching nothing and went home. My aunt ended up finding out (dont know why it was a big deal...it happens in fishing all the time)...she ended up bring me a quarter size freshwater flounder from petco and a 3 inch senegal (however that is doing well eating worms). I have separated the flounder in its own "specimen container" with sand. I placed sand in the container that was already in the tank....threw in some blood worms and no go so far. Any ideas if blood worms is even appropriate or is thier a better food item out thier? I don't want to put him with other fish (senegal also separated as not sure if my 1-2inch geos will be bothered) until he is eating on his own.

Thanks appreciate all the help I can get...its the second day I have had him.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Try tubifex, blackworms, any worm-like frozen you have, if he still doesn't eat then try those foods as a live variant. Also add a little(!) salt to the water and keep the temp at around 80.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey thanks will try to pick up the worms tomorrow. I recently realeased it from its holding container today...in hope that a larger space (72 gallon tank) compared to the 6 by 3 inch space, would make him more comfortable. Worried about my overflow as usually it takes a fish to fall in once to my sock...then be put back in the tank so they realize that strong current is a no no lol...my senegal didnt make it went thru overflow and mouth tangled in sock.

He is in a tank now with geos, cory cats, silver dollars, rainbow shark and rams. All fish are under 2 inches...the flounder being second to the smallest specie (quarter sized).

Idk if i could add some salt to the tank as im not sure if it would effect the healt of the others.

Thanks Again,

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
The freshwater flounders are actually brackish and need salt to survive. You should either setup a separate tank for it and slowly bring the salinity up or return it.

calichai

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 28, 2009
socal, oc
I had one not to long ago, mrs. brought it home. I never saw him eat. After a few weeks he found a nice spot on the front glass, in current. I noticed he was very fat. I also noticed my goldfish all had frayed fins. That punk was eating their fins. Anyhow he was returned to lfs. This was just my experience with them, and your fish are a lot faster than Goldie's. Sorry, awful story just my 2cents. Cheers...

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
he should bloodworms or black worms. i would not worry about salt for now. the most important thing is to get him to eat. but he is probably going
to starve with all those active fish in the tank.
it's not really a flounder. it is a sole. and they are pretty slow, so you should not keep him with active fish (or he wont get enough to eat)

juzbmez

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2011
Where Lightening Strikes
They are quite picky have two myself. Slow growers. I feed mine live bloodworms and sinking shrimp pellets. Took me 6months to get them to eat sinking shrimp pellets. They still prefer bloodworms though, and to be clear I've tried frozen and dried and they don't took it at all. But live man they eat it with no problem at all takes 2-3 every time.

Bottomfeeder

Dovii
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Land of the flea and home of the whopper.
There are true freshwater Flounder from the Amazon, but what you have is probably a Hogchoker, which is a native estuarine fish. They have certainly been found in full freshwater and I remember someone on here claiming to have had them spawn in freshwater, but there is some debate about whether or not being kept long term in freshwater is detrimental to their health.

I'd be more worried about feeding it in a large heavily stocked tank, because they tend to be aprehensive and shy feeders and easily outcompeted for food in a community tank.

Edit: oh my, this is an old thread... any updates from the OP?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store