What's this thing on my gar?

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
this odd looking thing formed on my gar awhile ago. It's a little bump on his snout. it's white and looks fleshy. I don't know what it is or if it's harmful. It doesn't seem to bother him much. Details are provided below but I can answer any other questions. also pic provided.

-It's been on him for a while but I can't pin point how long(couple months though)
-params have been in acceptable conditions
-He has been through a bad ammonia spike
-it seems to be getting larger
-he eats and acts normally

IMG_0027.JPG

IMG_0027.JPG

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
looks like it could be an abcess to me... but there have been pics of similar growths that where likly benign tumors. and is it the camera angle or does his mouth look full? I would be concerned if their was an ammonia spike and he got a minor cut inside his mouth that became infected. I would say if it's not the camera angle next time you feed him try and see f you can look inside his mouth for anything abnormal looking. gar are some of the sturdyest beats I know and can be almost dead before you notice something is wrong. I'de rather be "over-reacting" then say "naw should be fine"

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
looks like it could be an abcess to me... but there have been pics of similar growths that where likly benign tumors. and is it the camera angle or does his mouth look full? I would be concerned if their was an ammonia spike and he got a minor cut inside his mouth that became infected. I would say if it's not the camera angle next time you feed him try and see f you can look inside his mouth for anything abnormal looking. gar are some of the sturdyest beats I know and can be almost dead before you notice something is wrong. I'de rather be "over-reacting" then say "naw should be fine"
ok. what is a abcess and what is a benign tumor? I'll try to get more pics of the mouth for you to verify. I'm not very good at being a fish doctor.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1365467258.535854.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1365467282.249620.jpg

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1365467307.467281.jpg

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
at the moment I would just keep an eye on him.. good clean water and see if it goes away on it's own... if not then an anti-bacterial can be used carefully. But I would wait and see.. and see if you can see inside his mouth when he eats or yawns. Pulling him out and pokeing and proddig at him are only going to do more stress then good. as long as he's eating and otherwise acting normal.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
at the moment I would just keep an eye on him.. good clean water and see if it goes away on it's own... if not then an anti-bacterial can be used carefully. But I would wait and see.. and see if you can see inside his mouth when he eats or yawns. Pulling him out and pokeing and proddig at him are only going to do more stress then good. as long as he's eating and otherwise acting normal.
what am I looking for inside his mouth? He just ate a solid hand full of pellets and it didn't seem out of the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
abnormal growth or discoloration to suggest infection.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Is the growth you're referring to the pinkish lump in front of his right eye? It's only really visible in the first pic you posted. In every other pic he looks like a happy, healthy gar.

I'm new to gars (VERY NEW), but have you considered a 30 second salt bath? I've used it in the past when I discovered a growth on my fish, and my mom and I used to do the exact opposite with her marine fish.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Could be some sort of worm/parasite, or simply just a cyst. Is he on feeders? Any chance of a gross batch making their way into his tank?

I assume you've been doing frequent water changes and keeping the conditions pristine. If it doesn't clear up with clean water and maybe the addition of some salt, then I suppose you should consider antibiotics. Simple stuff first though, right?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store