petsmart vs me

Nate Dogg

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2011
Louisville
Just got back from petsmart. I wanted to get 20 neon tetras (on sale for a dollar). They were blown away first of all when I said 20. They asked how big of a tank I said a 10 gall for 2 weeks for quarantine after that they would be moved to a 125 gallon. (yes I know that is a larger number) she said it wouldn't work its to many fish to quick. I told them that it is a established tank that had many larger fish in it earlier that day. They said it didn't matter I was told by the manager (the worker asked if I wanted to get her pretty much when I started to disagree). I was told you can only add THREE fish a WEEK. And to add a cherry on top I was told maybe 5 fish in my 125 at once might be ok. I said well I can split the 20 fish into 2 tanks (said 10 gal and a 20 gal both seasoned) I was told thats 2 tanks so 6 fish. I said the tank is cycled and the filter is seasoned and they said 3 fish per tank per week. Anyway I said fine 10 fish 5 for each tank they did sell me the fish but, NO WARRANTY.

So who was right? Yes I know 20 neons in a 10 gal is a little tight but, the tank was full of good bacteria.

Jimmy16

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2011
Las vegas
just don't answer them when they ask you what you're going to do with the fish. easy as that.

letstalkfish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2013
Nomad
A few years ago my dad was buying a nice male JD from a local store. The guy asked my dad about his tank size and my dad replied with, "Tank? I'm gonna eat this puppy." I think the guy believed him for a second.

otmmy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2013
Alberta,Canada
While I do think its anoying when you go into a lfs and they ask you question about your tank(size,cycled,heated,filtered,ect)and the entire time your thinking to yourself "Just shut up I know alot more about keeping fish than you". But you cant complain about it beacuse it is good to see them trying to make an effort to make sure people can properly house the fish they want.While I do think you know what your doing and you could have successfully quarantined them.Im still kinda happy they didnt sell you them I like the fact that they just said no.Its sorta a double edged sword when complain about some of these stores not caring about fish and selling them to people who cant take care of them and now the stores are getting some info on the tanks and helping people not make beginner mistakes.So it may be kinda annoying for the people who know abit more about keeping fish. But for the beginners it should help them with keeping a successful aquarium.Which will keep them interested in the hobby.

Macomber

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
You'll be fine on the 10g w/20 neon. Next time, they are going into something much larger, like your 500g - take the doubt out of their minds by becoming more of an expert then they are.

I noticed that they changed their tune when I built my 425g. Before I would get the same static you did even though I have 3-125's. I guess 125 is becoming too common of a tank and is being viewed like that of a 55.

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
I have had the same problem with petsmart i had a well cycled 20 gal that they said i can only put 2 serpae tetras in it for the 1st month they also said i was overstokin my 45 gal with 6 giant danios

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store