Malaysian trumpet snails

jlieskovan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2012
San Francisco
i was told by my LFS after switching to sand that these guys are pretty much necessary, or at least they highly recommended i got some, as "sand sifters" what do you guys think? do you have them in your sand bottom tanks? my two concerns are will they overrun my tank and will my fish try to eat them? and if they do is it ok? thanks guys

stock: pbass and ornate bichir

LukeOscar

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2013
ontario
If you get enough of them. They can and will multiply. My puffer fish crunches them to bits. My flowerhorn waits for the right moment and tears the snail from its shell. Once its floating around shell less. He eats it.

None of my other fish eat the snails so i dont know if yours will or not. But like i said if theres enough snails and no predator they will forsure multiply.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
MTSs are great in sand (or gravel) because they keep it from compacting, keep it aerated, and eat rotting organic material that has worked into the substrate.
They are also mostly nocturnal, I only see them just after the lights come on as they drop from the glass into the substrate.
They are very prolific though, so in case I have a species tank with a shoal of Paretroplus maculatus which I can move from tank to tank. They can drop an over run tank snail population to almost nothing over night.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
They do well at keeping the sand stirred. I have quite a few in my tanks.

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
I like them but for some reason they don't seem to breed fast enough compared to the "regular" looking snails that I have in my tanks.

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
I keep them in all my tanks and I have nothing but good things to say about them.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I have a species tank with a shoal of Paretroplus maculatus
wow. I hope you're breeding them.

MTS get a thumbs up from me as well. they used to give them away from my local petsmart, but too many people got mad when they couldn't pick and choose which ones they got so they quit.
I don't think I looked too conspicuous standing there with a dripping hand.:naughty:

festaedan

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2013
Maryland
I dont keep them because all of my sand bottom tanks either have a ray, a fahaka puffer, or are saltwater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store