Need a little help with choosing the correct fishing rods.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I've been fishing all my life but I always use cheap gear. I typically run a $30 ugly stick with a $30 spinning reel. It's worked fine for me but I don't catch large fish either (only the occasional huge snapping turtle). Anyway I stumbled upon a couple excellent deals on some reels so I ordered 7. I'm going to keep 3 or 4 and craigslist the rest. I need some help choosing the correct poles as I usually buy whatever is cheap and looks sturdy. I want a lighter pole I can use for crappie, perch, redeye (rock bass), etc. A medium pole for smb, lmb, smaller catfish and a heavier pole for larger catfish (not huge but not 3 lb either), I'd be stoked to get a 10-15 lb catfish.

There is a lake next to my house that has crappie, lmb, perch and bullheads. I do most of my fishing here. I go camping on the James River which I would focus on flatheads and blue channels. My grandparents have a place on craigs creek (dumps into the James) and in that creek is bullheads, perch, smb, pike, rock bass and occasionally we will catch a very small flathead or channel catfish.

The reels that I have coming are

2x Shimano Sonora 2500 FB
2x Shimano Cardiff Baitcasting Reel 4+1 Ball Bearings (5.2:1)
2x Okuma Trio Standard Speed Spinning Reel (Trio-40)
1x Shimano CAENEN BAITCAST

Since I know very little about rods and action and such.. What setups would you go with?

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
It really depends on how much you want to spend. I will go through assuming for mid range rods as these are all mid range priced reels. You will definitely get better performance the more money you spend but I think these are some good places to start, the more expensive rod isn't going to catch you more big fish just because it's expensive that comes down to location skill and lure selection.

Shimano Sonora 2500 FB - your light setup for panfish - really any 6' medium light or light action rod is going to be fine for this application
Shimano Cardiff Baitcasting Reel 4+1 Ball Bearings (5.2:1) - cranking rod for bass/smallies - Bass Pro Bionic Blade w/ micro guides - $80
2x Okuma Trio Standard Speed Spinning Reel (Trio-40) - assuming this is a 4000 series probably your best catfish choice out of the available reels - Ugly Stik Catfish Series 7' or 7'6 MH depending on your preference - $30 but fishes like a much more expensive setup for the purpose
1x Shimano CAENEN BAITCAST - all purpose bass rod - Bass Pro Shops Tourney Special, 7' Medium Heavy - $50 great rod for the price

pudgeking

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
New York City
Honestly, ugly stiks are the bomb. As far as action and length and so on, it depends on what sort of fishing you want to do with it. Fast action is better for sensitivity and control, which is important for jigging or baitfishing without a bobber (like catfishing), bait or lure placement and avoiding snags, controlling your line in current. Slow action provides more shock absorbtion for fighting powerful fish. Just my 2 cents

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
My favorite all around setup is a 6' heavy "wonderrod" from the 70's equiped with a 25 yr old. Abu garcia bait caster. I believe the wonderrod was the first version of the ugly stick as its made by shakesspear. I use this setup for pike and cats with 50lb power pro braided line. I also have a newer version of the same rig but prefer my vintage set. Newer version is a 7' catfish special by ugly stick an a 08' year abu garcia bait caster. Bluegill set up is 7' ugly stick and schimano spin cast.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
I personally don't like the feel of ugly sticks especially if you use braided lines.. you can't go wrong with any of the bass pro shops rods for the price. personally I favoe a medium to medium heavy for all my rods because i like to feel and work the bait more.. anything over 6ft. go with a medium or medium heavy. IMO

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
I drove right by BassPro yesterday but didn't have time. The closest one to me is around 3 hours away so I never get out there. I do have a Gander Mountain by the house or I can order some rods online. All of my reels should be here today.

Each reel was around $9 to my door so I had to jump. :D

tampa_bass

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 18, 2012
your girlfriend's
gander mountain is good too man. you'll like them. especially for the price.

blindkiller85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Orlando, FL
I love my gander mountain guide series rod. Medium heavy 7 ft 1 piece. I have a mitchell 300xe reel (8 bearing) spin on it. This is my all purpose rod. Flukes, senko's, magnum speed worms.

My other two favorite rods are combo deals that I found. Mitchell copperhead combo for $20. Worms and live bait reels http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...l-Copperhead-Spinning-Rod-Reel-Combo&i=411476

My 4th rod is an old daiwa rod with an old abu garcia spin rod on it. Unknown age of both, but it's the bomb for bluegill crappie and the occasional bass.

bassfisher91

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 8, 2012
New York
I drove right by BassPro yesterday but didn't have time. The closest one to me is around 3 hours away so I never get out there. I do have a Gander Mountain by the house or I can order some rods online. All of my reels should be here today.

Each reel was around $9 to my door so I had to jump. :D
$9!! I'll give you $20 for that cardiff lol...it is one of my favorites. I have the 401a and it works great for catfish and stripers in the hudson river.

I'd find a nice ugly stick for that cardiff for bigger cats. I've caught cats on that reel up to 20 lbs and stripers in that range as well.

Mudfrog

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 3, 2005
VA
$9!! I'll give you $20 for that cardiff lol...it is one of my favorites. I have the 401a and it works great for catfish and stripers in the hudson river.

I'd find a nice ugly stick for that cardiff for bigger cats. I've caught cats on that reel up to 20 lbs and stripers in that range as well.
Yea I lucked out on the cheap reels. I received the Caenen yesterday and the rest should come in today or tomorrow.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store