150g Predator Tank

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
Hi All

Thought i might start my first thread here on MFK about my 150g predator/fowlr setup. It's been
running for many years and as you can see I have a bit of a nitrate problem with all the algae but
I'm on a mission atm to get it back to scratch.
Here's a few pics-

Front shot

Some of the inmates-

Harlequin Tusk that always want's to eat my camera

My favourite and a long time family member. Not really a predator as such but the absolute ruler of the tank,
a Desjardinii Sailfin (18 years old now!)

Good little, Bad little Girl, Undulated Trigger

And the engine room, due for renovations soon with a new sump on order

Equipment List

H&H v2001 cone skimmer + WaveLine 5000 dc controllable pump
Reef Octopus BR110 Biopellet reactor + Eheim compact 1000
Eheim 1262 return pump
Eheim/Jaeger 300w heater
Tunze 6085 stream pumps x 2 for circulation
El cheapo Orca blue and white led's for lighting
For water I use Red Sea salt or Reef Crystals and r/o

Cheers!

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
Thanks, looks like you keep a Lion fish from your avatar? - One of the first Marines I ever kept. If it weren't for my Trigger I'd get another straight away.

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
A few more recent pics-

Undulatus working on her latest burrow.

Watching the world swim by her bommie.

HTF "Count Dracula"

Tang reminding the HTF of who wears the pants around here.

Still waiting for the new sump, should be ready tomorrow hopefully but I'm not looking forward to the
install as I have to cut a hole in the side of the cabinet to get it in.

Cheers Nick

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
Thanks Ptrick, they sure do and know how to use them. Good to see it's grown it's top left fang back again, was missing for a while.
And YAY! I picked up the new sump today but I'm not looking forward to cutting out a new door in the side of the cabinet so I can get it in...

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
Happiness is a new sump.:grinno:

1st section for overflow, skimmer and biopellet effluent outlet

The return section is fairly large, I had it left open during the build as I'm not
sure yet what I'm going to do in there -an algae scrubber would be cool.

The new installation went pretty smoothly, gave the inside of the cabinet
a fresh lick of paint, put in some plastic cable duct and did a little bit of plumbing.
Next job is to replace the piece I cut out with a panel to mount all the
electricals on, hinged just incase I ever need to get the sump out.
Cheers, Nick

Fish Fingers

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2013
Australia
Sorry I haven't been around for a while but here's a bit of an update with my tank... The Undulatus Trigger had nearly doubled in size (and aggression) which didn't really surprise me so I decided to move her on before she started to demolish all her tankmates. Once she started shaping up to my 4x larger Sailfin I decided to remove her before all hell broke loose. Wasn't an easy task removing 120lb of rock and chasing her down with a net to catch her as she wasn't fooled by any type of trap or bait. New additions now are Tomini and Olive tangs, an Asfur Angel and a whole lot of easy to keep corals, Zoas, mushies, star polyps and Xenia.It's a lot more peaceful now, N03's and P04's been consistanly low as you can see by the lack of GHA, the biopellets have done a great job! Sorry if the post's all over the place but my kids have wrecked this laptop and the enter key wont work!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store