does this make me crazy?

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I have a 15g column tank in my sons room. It has 20 lbs of both live sand and rock. It came with a 12" T8 bulb and last week I added 3x12" 6watt stunner strips. I am seriously concidering adding a hob eshopps 300gph overflow box and a eshopps sump. Then I would add a skimmer and a bunch more live rock. It would bring my total water volume to around 30 gallons. And about 50 lbs of rock. My main goal is to have a few corals and I figured this would make the water more stable. I am also going to order 2x12" panaroma (19w) fixtures to mix with the stunner strips and ditch the factory T8 bulb. I am doing this because I dont have room for a bigger tank in his room right now. But eventually I will get him a 60g cube tank or something similar and I want to get it started now. Does this seem do able? Or am I completely crazy?

Otherone

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2009
Lancaster,PA USA
it's overkill on the LR - B+B is only gonna grow to it's demand and 50lbs is gonna lower the water volume dramatically to a ridiculous rock to water volume ratio, like your gonna be left with less than 3 gal of water or something like that.

You only need 1/3 total volume to be rocks which displaces 5 gal leaving you with 10. The extra 30lbs of rock is a 100% total waste of a lot of money that will serve you no purpose period even in sump. You can't fit enuff life into 10 gal.

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Ok that post isnt very helpful, just completely negative. So if I do alot less rock kdep the skimmer would that be better? What do you reccomend I do? All I want is to add 1 more fish (a goby or blenny) and an anemone + a few beginner corals to make the tank more beautiful. I thought a sump, skimmer and more LR would help but I guess I was wrong. Any actual advise?

LiLye

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
Canada
With a nano tank like yours, and little love stock, I don't think you need the slimmer.
Make a little regugium if anything. - I have made one from a out of tank hanging breeder box on my 10g

My 8 g biocube only runs with live rock as a filter and some filter floss I shoved in the back, I keep corals and a clown fish and a clown goby.

I personally think a protein skimmer is when you get to the bigger tanks. As long as you watch your parameters you should be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
Anyone else care to add anything? With 2 of the 19w panaroma leds and 4-6 stunner strips will I have any problems with an anemone of a few corals? Would the added water volume and an oversized skimmer make this easier or is it a waste of time?

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I can't really add any input about LEDs, but I use t5hos on my reefs and I can keep pretty much every soft and lps coral.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
I can't really add any input about LEDs, but I use t5hos on my reefs and I can keep pretty much every soft and lps coral.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Unfortunately my tank only really has room for led's without major work

kasaki89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2010
hamilton
with the led's you should be fine to have a few mushroom corals, test it out with them first and see how it goes.
if you see that your having a lot of growth and positive stuff from them move onto something like a button polyp's
the nem may give you problems tho, if u wanted a nem your prolly thinking about adding clowns ,
and in my honest opinion let them host a rock of some short, any nice hosting nems get really large. and that's just gonna become a mess -.-

ElectricBlueSeanBurch

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2010
Panaque Paradise
with the led's you should be fine to have a few mushroom corals, test it out with them first and see how it goes.
if you see that your having a lot of growth and positive stuff from them move onto something like a button polyp's
the nem may give you problems tho, if u wanted a nem your prolly thinking about adding clowns ,
and in my honest opinion let them host a rock of some short, any nice hosting nems get really large. and that's just gonna become a mess -.-
Thanks for the input. I have one small clownfish in tank. How fast would the nems grow? I will be upgrading this tank in a year or so so if I have to I will wait to add the anemone. What about adding the sump? Any suggestions for that?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store