Uh oh! Been bought a gift fish and don't know what to do

monsterkeeper87

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
England
My sister has just come back from holiday and brought me a fish as a present, which is great except its an alligator gar... I was talking about them in the past (before I found out how big they get and decided they are a bad idea) and she remembered and long story short she see 1 in a fish store and thought it would be a great gift. So what do I do now? Lol I have no way of housing a 10' fish, I could take it back to the fish store but its a long journey and I doubt it would end up in a tank bigger than 500g, so should I just keep him and think of it as I'm the best of a bad situation for him and he was a really thoughtful gift even if its was a bad decision or return him where he is Likely to end up in a far worse situation?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

hamster

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Ipswich England
Time to get a new tank I think. You can't return such a thoughtful gift from your lovely sister so upgrade.
In all serious I wouldn't try to keep a fish if you can't properly house it but that's just me.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Best luck is to build a pond for the future.

lix.ma14

Hydrolycus Armatus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2011
Ontario, Canada
But then what? Lol this is 1 of the worst fish she could have got for me, I could even house an aripaima easier than 1 of theses

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
nah arapaimas grow way faster. Those 10 foot gator gars are decades of years old. After your gator hits 3 feet, go make a pond!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store