saltie conversion

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
i have a few tropical set-ups ive always wondered about salt tanks. now my missus wants a salt tank and i wondered ....

can i take the fish out of my tropical set up . add salt. add salty fish and have a salty setup ?

is it that simple ? i know there are skimmers etc etc but there are allsorts of addons for everything. so will a simple community tank work this way ?

many thanks.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
No. You will have to totally tear down your fresh setup. Do some googling and you will find all of the basics.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

yargnits

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2011
Leeds, UK.
woooo. steady that was almost too much information to be usefull.

so basically no. go google dont bother with a forum.

thanks for your helpful insight.

i see fish and filtration and a difference between salt and non salt. ie add salt to a freshwater aquarium. i dont see why it wont work but if you would like to add HELPFUL comments please feel free.

anyone saying go search or google please refrain from posting.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
These questions have been answered before, just scroll down or try going back a few pages. People here get tired of answering the same questions all the time.

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
Depending on your current setup, it is just as simple as adding salt and fish. Of course, that is if you are planning on keeping some starter fish. I 'm not positive, but i assume you'd have to cycle your saltwater tank (not sure if the fresh BB is the same as salt BB). Before jumping in, I would suggest learning about the salties you want to keep, and setup the tank accordingly. You more than likely can reuse most if not all your current equipment, and add other pieces as you go. Hope that gives you a little more info. I kept a 55 gallon salt tank years ago, it was very rewarding. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

joeypaul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 16, 2013
Lakeland,Florida
If you get tired of answering the same questions, simply don't reply. Why do people insist in being rude. We join a forum because we have questions. Sorry for hijacking here. I am just over so many people being dicks for no reason.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
If you get tired of answering the same questions, simply don't reply. Why do people insist in being rude. We join a forum because we have questions. Sorry for hijacking here. I am just over so many people being dicks for no reason.

Sent from my LG-MS770 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
+1

Sent from my Nexus 7

chanathon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2008
CA
Yea, the BB for salt is not the same as that for FW so you'd have to recycle to tank. Otherwise, I dont see a problem with adding salt, wait for cycle then add fish. If it were me though i'd tear down the tank and clean it up to do a fresh restart.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Well if you did just add salt (go with kent or do Red Sea coral pro if you want to do a reef) then ALL of the freshwater things would have to die, then it would be time to start the saltwater cycle (preferably with a raw shrimp.) After the cycle is done you could get a clown or another hardy fish. Now equipment wise you you will need: 1-2 lbs of live rock per gallon, a protein skimmer, powerheads for flow, enough aragonite sand for a 2-4" deep sand bed, and to keep your options open a good t5ho unit. Also get all of this stuff BEFORE you cycle.

My .02

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
Regarding just adding salt and cycling, after the first major spike in ammonia from the majority of the fresh bacteria dying, there is a real possibility of having other ammonia spikes months down the road from disturbances in the substrate or the filtration.
You would be much better off tearing everything down and starting from scratch. Plus, you will want to get aragonite sand to promote bb growth.
Hope this helps,

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store