Coral spreading ich

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I have ich in the system in one of my reefs. It is impossible to get rid of obviously without killing all my corals and bacteria, but I have a frogspawn frag I really want to move over to my other reef tank. I don't want to take any chances moving ich in there since I am going to have my $275 pair of snowflake clowns in there, and I don't feel like losing them. If I use some Coral RX on it will it kill/get rid of the ich? Could it be carrying ich in the first place?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Marine Ich is a pain in the butt man. I'm dealing with it right now. I'm attempting to treat with medication, and the fish seem to be improving. Both of my triggers have it, so I'm assuming the rest of my fish are likely to get it.

Medications such as these aren't a 100% solution, sometimes they might not work. That piece of coral could be holding Ich cysts, but I don't think corals can carry Ich like fish do.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
I'm really not certain, though I wish I was. Since it doesn't need swimming room, try quarantining it in a small tank. Do large water changes daily. Basically treat it like you'd treat a fish non-medicinally.

That's what I'd do, but I'm still learning as I go. Like I said, dealing with a bout of what I strongly suspect to be Ich as well. I hope we both succeed!

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Why don't you just put all your fish in a hospital tank then treat the fish and leave your reefs sit for 5-6 weeks to be 100% sure you won't have ick? I did it and my tank is literally ick free

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
Been there done that. The fish are fine, they have built up an immunity to it, I just don't want to spread it.

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I really don't think that deserves a response.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I really don't think that deserves a response.

I guess you're just pretty retarded. If you did this then your tank is literally ick free and now you are saying that you still have ick? How the hell does that make sense?
After 6 weeks of no fish any ick that was left in the tank died with no chance of survival. Treating the fish with copper kills anything that was on the fish. If there is none on the fish and none in the display there is none. Do you understand?

Cheesehead

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2011
WI
I used hypo, it worked on the fish. They stayed out of the tank for 5-6 weeks, the ich didn't totally go away. There as ideas that ich is always in the system, and is only present when the fish get ich. I'm afraid good sir, you shouldn't judge before you post.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store