Online business

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Hi, I live in new jersey and am curious about starting an online business(for future, not now). Kinda like jeff rapps sorta thing. I don't have a clue about how to have one. I have some questions first.
1. What licenses do I need and how much will they cost?
2. How much money will it take to start up a small(10-20) tank business?
3. How do I get the fish? I have heard of something called a wholesaler, but I can't find any and all of them are so secretive!

Please help guys and anyone who owns an nine business, especially vendors, please chime in with advice and impossible give me a link to their website. Thanks!

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
bump please

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Not in the business but might want to think more about what kind of business. Do you want to be breeding fish like rapps or collecting and importing your own stock? Wholesale in general means to a dealer, so without being a business they don't want to deal with you or they wouldn't be a wholesaler... Idk but I'm guessing it will be much more involved if you would want to be importing wild fish from other countries and I know they make frequent trips to south america probably to meet with their wholesalers. I know it's different but my friend has 10g already sunk into trying to get his dealer license and is still 50/50 on if he will be approved

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
People who get into selling fish usually start out breeding the fish they keep. They start breeding more and more types and sell what they produce. To eventually building a clientele and reputation. Then you can start importing other fish to sell. Cost of Business licenses generally is percentage based on what you think you will make in your first month or year in business. You usually want to estimate that really low. Good luck!

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I think being able to recieve fish from another country the licence is expensive, there are only a handful of transshippers I've found in this country. Breeding your own would be the most cost efficient. Would definitely contact him to get some great stock to start breeding though

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Ok, thanks guys. What do you think i could breed with this setup:
x2 55 gallon
x1 90 gallon
x2 20 gallon

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Would be good size for medium pair of cichlids in thhe 90g then fry grow out tanks for the rest. You will need a few sizes for different size baby fish to reduce losses at young age. Find what you think will be popular and find the best wild pair you can. Anything from Dempsey color morphs to festae, all kinds of stuff you could do. Id use all those tanks for one pair and all their fry grow out though

fish042099

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2011
Northern N.J.
Would be good size for medium pair of cichlids in thhe 90g then fry grow out tanks for the rest. You will need a few sizes for different size baby fish to reduce losses at young age. Find what you think will be popular and find the best wild pair you can. Anything from Dempsey color morphs to festae, all kinds of stuff you could do. Id use all those tanks for one pair and all their fry grow out though
ok cool. im not new to cichlids but....what would be the most profitable cichlids to breed? Could you please list a few?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store