55g tank stocking

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Hello, I recently purchased a fifty five gallon aquarium at the petco dollar per gallon sale. I hate doing business with them, but $60 for a 55 was to good to pass up. I have thrown around some ideas on stocking, and I will do more research before deciding to go through with it, but I was wondering if this would work:
-one senegal bichir
-one ropefish
-one leopard catfish
-one black knife fish
-1-2 jack dempseys?

I am just asking if there are any problems with this stocking/changes that could be made. I am in no way saying that i intend to do this setup.
If this is in the wrong place, I apologize, I rarely leave the reptiles amphibians and other exotic pets subforum.

Wesley M

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2013
St. George, Utah USA
I have 2 JDs in my 85 and the get along with a lot of fish. Until their territory is invaded per se. They are my favorite fish by far and are awesome to keep. Definately get a jack Dempsey! As for tank mates, plecis are cool looking and help with algae problems although they are not a cleaner fish since they poop a ton. I have always had a pleco with my dempseys. Green terrors (gold saums) get along with JDs and are common. An Oscar might so well for a while until it gets too big. Convicts are very cool and they stay pretty small (like 4-5"). Plus if you get a pair they breed like rats and you can fees your Dempsey the babies and won't have to buy food. Although its recomended highly because feeders don't provide enough nutrients. Red devils or Midas get along with my dempseya but WILL eventually out grow the 55. Although I highly recommend getting semveral small jacks (only) and try to get a pair, then remove the rest and raise the pair. Few fish, in my opinion, are prettier than JDs when breeding. Hope I helped.

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
I have 2 JDs in my 85 and the get along with a lot of fish. Until their territory is invaded per se. They are my favorite fish by far and are awesome to keep. Definately get a jack Dempsey! As for tank mates, plecis are cool looking and help with algae problems although they are not a cleaner fish since they poop a ton. I have always had a pleco with my dempseys. Green terrors (gold saums) get along with JDs and are common. An Oscar might so well for a while until it gets too big. Convicts are very cool and they stay pretty small (like 4-5"). Plus if you get a pair they breed like rats and you can fees your Dempsey the babies and won't have to buy food. Although its recomended highly because feeders don't provide enough nutrients. Red devils or Midas get along with my dempseya but WILL eventually out grow the 55. Although I highly recommend getting semveral small jacks (only) and try to get a pair, then remove the rest and raise the pair. Few fish, in my opinion, are prettier than JDs when breeding. Hope I helped.

Sent from my EVO using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
im not really able to get any bigger tanks/more tanks in the future, and if i couldnt have the other fish i had listed with a JD i wouldnt get one. plecos are cool, and i have had some in the past, but in this tank i would plan on just scrubbing the walls instead. i dont really like convicts, they just dont do it for me

tommybhermitage

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 8, 2012
Hubbard Ohio
I would try it with one jack. There usually pretty calm, but 2 out of the 15 I had, were physco killers. I would try it with only one jd, and look up info on the rope. Though I read they get pretty big

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
a black knife gets too big for a standard 55G, as does the bicher. you would have been better with a 40 breeder for those, but even that would have been tight.. if the leopard catfish is a cory species, you want a minimum of 3 but 5+ is better. if not, that's the only leopard cat I'm aware of. the senegal would probably end up eating them and the ropefish.
if you get the ropefish, they are suicidal escape artists.
JD's I've never kept.

A. gigas

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2010
As I already corrected you once, it's called a Jaguar Catfish, not a Leopard.

Gill, correct me if I'm wrong but I have always heard that a 55 is the minimum for a Bichir (excluding the larger species) with the width of a 75 making that size preferable.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Ropefish are group fish, please don't keep one alone. 3 is the bare minimum with 5 being better..

crayfishguy

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Houston texas
Ropefish are group fish, please don't keep one alone. 3 is the bare minimum with 5 being better..
wow, ive never heard that.. i assume that amount of ropefish wouldnt fit in a 55?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store