Skimmate question

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
So I know that normal evaporation should be topped off with ro/di water, but what about skimmate? If you pull out a cup of wetter skimmmate do you top off with SW or ro/di?

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
Normally you would mix the salt with the ro/di, or just top off with ro/di and no salt. It depends what the salinity level of the tank is and what level you want to maintain. Before you add any water to the system check it with a hydrometer.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
Normally you would mix the salt with the ro/di, or just top off with ro/di and no salt. It depends what the salinity level of the tank is and what level you want to maintain. Before you add any water to the system check it with a hydrometer.

Yeah I always measure with a refractomer before and after adding water, I guess I'm just wondering if protein skimmers remove salt and other minerals or just the proteins and waste?

skatin707

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2013
Delaware
Yeah I always measure with a refractomer before and after adding water, I guess I'm just wondering if protein skimmers remove salt and other minerals or just the proteins and waste?
I was curious about this as well. If it removes any salt, it must not be much. I do daily checks with my refractometer and my salinity doesn't change by any noticeable amount.

krausch

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2012
wisconsin
Protein skimming will not change or remove salt, but i believe it will take out small amounts of trace elements from the system, more so organic material. The water that evaporates between top offs will normally leave salt behind, so you'll notice the level of salinity increase from fill to fill. Don't know if that answers your question.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store