Holy Rock or Lace Rock?

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Basically a matter of personal opinion tbh. I prefer lace, I've used it in my african tanks for 20 years with zero issues to me it just looks nicer when stacked into structures. As for the buffering of ph and whatnot....we use tap water there is literally no need to buffer water for africans unless you have crazy acidic tap water.

cacichilds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
NJ
Same here. I'm opting for lace rock since i'd horded like 100lbs worth over my years. I have 7.8 hard water right from my tap. I just use a good de-chlorinater and I'm set. One of the reason I just switch my geophagus setup over to African's.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Lace all the way. Holey just looks unnatural to me, plus it always just turns green anyways which looks even worse.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cassius.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2012
Westchester, NY
Holey is more expensive, so that's a negative. Though, the name is not misleading: holey rock has a lot of holes,which equals places to hide, which is useful for the aggressive Africans. I preferred the look of lace rock, but once i went with holey rock I didn't look back.

As for the ph buffering- yeah, fish can survive in any manner of conditions, but just because they can doesn't mean that they should. Color, breeding, and just longevity: all these things are better when the fish are more comfortable in a natural environment. That's my experience abyway. I am no expert.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
Holey rock.. I actually like the look even when it turns green.. Lace rock to me looks tacky but to each his own.

INTHECOWBOYSWETRUST

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2013
TOLEDO OHIO
Holey rock all the way.. I have used both but the holey rock is better in every way... I still have about 800 lbs of it for sale... Want to buy some?? LOL... $2 a lb. you can't beat it....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store