Is it possible my tank cycled in a week!?

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
I just set up another 120g tank with a sump filter. Im filtering about 1400gph right now. I put previously used filter media in the sump and a large piece of drift wood from my tank (1 year running it myself, and a friend ran it for a year with the same wood too) into the big tank. This has been running for 7 days now, and according to my tests there are no nitrites, and 0ppm ammonia ... Is it possible this tank cycled in a week!?

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
nitrates? yes it's possible.. how much bacteria load it can handle is a hwole other question though.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Yes, you could really do it, but I'd like to see a nitrate reading in a tank that young. I'll bet it's okay since you have been adding ammonia (right?), but you have zeros on both ammonia and nitrites. But they aren't my pets.

I'd go for the nitrate tester. You'll want it anyway to help work out the timing and amount of water changes.

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Yes, you could really do it, but I'd like to see a nitrate reading in a tank that young. I'll bet it's okay, but they aren't my pets. I'd go for the nitrate tester. You'll want it anyway to help work out the timing and amount of water changes.
I mean Im in no hurry to put anything in it, just setting up another tank for when something catches my eye lol. So i dont mind waiting longer, I was just shocked at the readings. Maybe I'll stop in the LFS and grab some nitrate tests tonight

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
sure if you used old media from an established tank , I do this all the time and add fish right away but not a lot at a ime.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store