Tank question

LilBabyEmma

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 26, 2009
Morgantown
This might be a silly question I have a 55g mixed tank has Mbuna and haps and peacocks in it the tank dont have a lot of hiding spots I was wondering if I should make the tank where there's no hiding spots at all so here's no places to fight over I could take some small rocks and put them In the holes so none of the fish can clam the spots

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
more hiding spots the better for the fish, i have a 55 with haps/peacocks/mbunas and just sand atm, but going to put the rocks back in there.. more rocks=less fighting/chasing as it breaks up the line of sight..

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
It will actually work but you'll miss a lot of interesting behavior.

Also, I do not see a 55 working long term with almost all haps, most mbunas. Peacocks will work if you only limited two a couple of trios.

There are Africans that will work with 55 gallons, try a mixture of 6 yellow labs and 6 rusty(iodotropheus), and perhaps a trio of smaller peacocks.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

StevieTheG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2012
New Jersey
keep the rocks in there especially if you have mbuna. I have a 55 gallon as well and it's stocked with about 20 different fish (peacocks/hap/mbuna). The only hap I have is my fryeri and my mbuna stock is an afra, yellow lab, and kenyi. I keep lots of rock work and cave networks for them as well as open swimming space. very few mbuna with A LOT of rock in that size tank= success IME/O. This also adds more retreat for your peacocks, even though in nature they dont venture too close to the rocks. Your peacocks will be dead in due time without that rock. And I agree with ecoli73, a lot of the mbuna behaviour will be altered.

p.s. I keep a tight little school of tiger barbs with them too. Haven't lost one yet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store