Gar behaviour

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
Hi guys,

I have a 5 inch gar and recentlt it keeps hanging out at the bottom of the tank. Is there something wrong? Im currrently starving it and trying to make it eat dead food. And it's tank mates are stingrays an aro and pbass. dont think it's water problem cause all other fishes are perfectly fine. and i doubt it's the normal hanging around at the bottom behaviour for gar cos it's way too much and it hardly hangs out at the top. Help anyone? thanks in advance!

nono

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
indonesia
well,i haven't keep a gar for a long time,so correct me if i am wrong please.right now i am having a florida gar,it is around 28 or 30 cm long.i have keep him since he was like yours,but from the time i bought him until now,which is almost half a year,its behaviour is just like yours,when it is not feeding time,he is just loafing around with its tankmates.just like you,i had ask for some advice,but they said it is okay.so i think maybe my gar,and also your is okay,as long as your gar eat normally and not been bullied by it's tankmates

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Hanging around the bottom I pretty normal for gars.

Aside from that there could be aggression issues from some of your tankmate choices. All the fish you have the gar with can result in compatibility issues.

Also it's usually recommended to wait till the gar is a larger size to train it on non live foods. At this time it's recommended to allow it to choice feed by having feeders available.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
x2 I don't starve/wean my fish anyways.. but imo its likely stressed/weak young gar grow fast.. so they need almost constant food to grow properly/healthy

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
ok thanks for all your input, really really appreciate it. went to the LFS and got a pack of feeders and it went for them, 100% accuracy haha. sometimes im jus amazed by their hunting skills

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
I have three gar...and one of them hangs around the bottom more than the other two...and he seems to be fine. What's your water temp like? Gars can handle lower temps than many fish...and have a fairly large temp range they can handle (60-90°F). Maybe if your tanks temp is on the lower side...your Gar is just being a little lethargic. Check water quality as well.

predatorpassion

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
No problem, like said I'd (imo) try a little later. Just quarantine the feeders, possibly throw some pellets or mysis, etc in and see if there's any reaction. Just keep track of water parameters and I'm sure you'll be just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store