David R's 2000L tank build

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
My original thread is way out of date and not really relevant since the plans have changed so much since then, so now real progress is being made it's time to make a proper build thread.

Tank: 2400x1200x700 (LxWxH) 15mm glass
Stand: 2400x1200x400 glav steel
Sump: still in the planning stages
Pump: Laguna MaxFlo 2900
Lighting: DIY LED, eventually...
Fish (so far): Black arowana
3x L190 royal panaque
2x L128 blue phantom
3x L14 sunshine/goldy plec
L81 gold nugget
L002 tiger panaque
6x Geophagus altifrons
2x Pterophyllum scalare 'Peru Altum'
certainly more to come...
Decor: sand substrate, driftwood, rocks

The tank will be set up in a dedicated room downstairs, with the overflow plumbed through the wall into the garage where the sump will be located. Hopefully the actual build of the tank and filtration won't take too long now that it is actually under way, but it will be a long-term project in terms of "finishing" things like the lighting, timber fascias, etc etc that aren't critical to the running of the tank. I've never actually completely finished a tank to the point where I'm happy with every aspect of it, so hopefully this will be the first...

First up, here's how I envisage it to look;

The stand is finished and off to the paint shop tomorrow. Looks solid! According to the friend who made it two people can carry it, but it felt pretty heavy to me when I tried moving it...

wife wasn't happy with this photo, but I needed something to show scale...

The top part is made from 100x50x3mm galv steel along the front and back, and 100x50x5mm for the 1100mm spans running front to rear. The rest is 50x50x3mm, and the gussets are 6mm plate. I chose to go only 400mm high as I'll be adding another 40mm with plywood and polystyrene, and I want the tank at a good height for viewing while sitting on a couch. It will be the same height as my previous 1400L tank, which worked very well in terms of viewing and maintenance.

This is my most recent and favourite design for the sump, incorporating a large settling chamber to catch all the heavy waste (panaque sawdust etc) before flowing thru Poret foam and pond matrix. There is a thread for discussing the idea here

Here are some of the pics from the previous thread that are somewhat relevant to this one.

Digging for driftwood;

Testing the size of the tank in 1:1 scale, who needs SketchUp when you've got beer crates, garden stakes and bed sheets!

Removing flooring to waterproof the concrete slab. I've kept some pieces to put down in the gaps either side of the tank once it is in place.

More wood, soaking in our old swimming pool at Mum and Dads, it has all sunk now and is ready to go.

And last but not least, a couple of the fish!

I can't believe I started the other thread nearly six months ago and it has taken this long to get to this point. After seeing the stand today I've found my enthusiasm for this project once again and will try to keep it moving as steadily as possible!

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Great! And compliments on knowing how to put your better half to some real, tank related , work!!:)

Gar88

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2011
INDIA
Looking forward to learn from this build David. I have massive project coming up as well and I like this tank setup already :)
Good luck and keep the update flowing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rayne

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2010
I'm loving your stock as it pretty much matches exactly what I will be doing for my big tank! Will be watching this one closely. Good luck with the build

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Pacu mom the stand will be painted with an epoxy-based paint so it is completely sealed.

Miguel she takes a good interest in the fish, not quite as "enthusiastic" as me, but still doesn't mind getting her hands dirty. I couldn't handle being married to a woman who has no interest in the things I'm passionate about.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Miguel she takes a good interest in the fish, not quite as "enthusiastic" as me, but still doesn't mind getting her hands dirty. I couldn't handle being married to a woman who has no interest in the things I'm passionate about.
Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I see your point David...but it has its advantages, also....you will get there boy :)

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Saw some pics of the tankmaker making a friends tank of similar dimensions (same footprint, a little lower in height), now I'm really excited, it looks massive! Been talking to the local Poret foam supplier and I think the idea of using it in the sump as above is going to work with the addition of another baffle.
Trying to restrain myself but the LFS is getting some L240 in and I just might have to grab one...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store