Help me design my sump!

superluke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
oxford uk
I am going to set up a 260 gallon tank with a 40 gallon sump the dimensions of the sump are 48x15x15 inches and atm it is a blank canvas I will post a pic of the tank please give me ideas for the sump as this is my first ever sump so don't have a clue what to do :/

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1366727997.782036.jpg

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
Saltwater or freshwater? Here's the design that I used for my 20 gal sump. I based it on the Aqueon Proflex sump:

Sump.jpgSump2.JPG

Sump.jpg

Sump2.JPG

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
That's alot of real estate. I wish I had that much room under my tank. Just a few ideas that rolled off my head... There's enough room there where you could build a freshwater refugium (good place to nursery plants or keep feeders): Inlet -> mechanical -> bio chamber -> refugium -> return
Or you have lots of room where you could make a 2-stage mechanical and have super polished water: Inlet -> 100 micron mech filter -> bio chamber -> 50 micron mechanical -> return
The possibilities are endless here.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I'd probably look at both posted designs closely (although Gill's is closer to your size) and then add plants to the top of the aquarium. See this whole thread http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...4763-Cheap-plants-less-nitrate!-POTHOS/page79

I think that would give you a stable and easy to maintain system for 1) mechanical 2) biological and 3) nitrate removal. I think a 40 gallon might be a bit to the smallish size for a 260 if you take up space for a refugium. Also, I think you'll need to jimmy up some lighting if you do that. The good news is you don't have to do that as the plants will work very well on top of the tank and they don't require any special lighting. (Ambient room light works fine.)

The sump can go under the tank and be enclosed to reduce evaporation and you won't have to insert lights for plants there.

Just a thought! I like the idea though of a sump though and you are exactly in the right place to get advice.

wvance

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2013
Culpeper, VA
That sounds great! Be sure to post some pics when you get it done. I don't have much experience with K1s. I'd really beinterested so see how it turns out for you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store