Planning on picking up a 15" FL. Gar - which tank?

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Planning on picking up a 15" FL gar some time this week. I've got 3 tanks I could put him in: 180, 144, and 125.

1. I would rather not put him in the 180 because that tank is a ticking time bomb of aggression. The wolf fish has started showing his old personality recently (which is awesome to watch, but terrifying for everything else in the tank). Plus the silver aro in that tank is super skittish.

2. If it's not likely that I will be able to switch him off live, then the 144 is where I would like to put him. That is the only tank I have that gets live food (because I gave up on breaking the tigerfish and my scomb). My concern is that the gar is 15" and my other fish are between 8-9". I've bever owned a gar, so I'm not sure how much danger my other fish would be in. This tank also has a good amount of current, which I'm not sure the gar would like?

3. Finally, there is the 125 (60Lx18Dx24H). These fish are pretty docile, and all of them are on shrimp or tilapia. I would love to put the gar in here, IF it is likely that he can be broken off live.

Input is appreciated, and the inhabitants of each tank are listed in my sig.

Thanks,
John

livebearerfreak

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2006
no where
none... dont pick him up if you dont have a tank big enough....... they need a tank that is atleast 3.5 foot wide by 8 to 10 foot long....

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
I'm not one to usually jump at responses like this, but after having read the stickies, I did not think this gar was beyond my ability to care for: The following is cut from the sticky in this section of the forum for the FL gar:

Average Captive Max Size:
Approximately 18” – 22”

Average Captive Growth Rate:
Expect YOY (young of the year) specimens to grow quickly to 9-12” and then plateau.

Growth is much slower during the second year. 2 year old specimens tend to reach 16" and above

After several years growth rate will be drastically slower the closer the gar gets to its ~ max size.

Suggested Husbandry:

Tank Size: For an adult specimen, nothing under 2’ wide and 5’ long is advisable. A 30" wide tank would be even better. While the footprint of the tank is what really matters, adult, captive Florida gars will generally need at least a 180g > aquarium.

Comments: These fish are hardy, relatively docile, easily accessible and look incredible. Definitely the "first gar" if you are only just venturing into gar husbandry.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Now if you're telling me that I need double the volume & dimensions listed in the post mentioned above, then we may need to do some revising to the info supplied in the sticky.

Siddons11

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2012
USA
Id go with the 180g. Gars seem to go unnoticed by other fish and are really tough. Are the other tanks 2' wide also?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
The 144 is a strange shape: it's a perfect 1/2 circle. it's 60" long, and a little over 30" wide at the center of the tank.

The 125 is only 18" wide, which I know is not ideal.

doomiedee

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 13, 2011
Waterbury
Well you like answered your own question if the sticky says 180 then there you go

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Assuming that the stocking in your sig is up to date both the 180 and 144 are bad ideas. There is likely to be a lot of aggression in the 180 and the 144 has fish that will likely end up as feeders.

In the 125 I would be most worried about the scombs, as gars tend to go after silver fish, identifying them as food. Bichir is fine, knives should be fine. They could present issues in the future depending on growth rates though.

Personally I'd go with the 125 for it, keeping in mind that it is still growing and will need larger accommodations with suitable tankmates in the future. If you can't provide that it would be best to pass on the gar.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Knowing that I could move him to the 180 if need be, are either of my other tanks suitable given their inhabitants? As I mentioned, I do not want to add anything to the 180 at the moment. My Odoe just got his appetite back, and I'm enjoying my suddenly semi-active wolf fish. I fear that I'll have to start all over again if I introduce another giant predator to hover above them.

Also, nothing in the 180 is fed live any more. I do not want a reason to introduce live food every night if I don't have to. Now, if the gar can be broken onto meaty food relatively easily, then it's not as much of an issue.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
Sorry Kevin, I was typing my response as you left yours.

I meant to update the 125 stock, because I moved the scomb into the 144, so there is only the bichir and the knives.

I was most worried about my tigerfish. He's the most expensive fish I've ever purchased, and I'd hate to think he might end up as a $200 feeder.

The only reason I considered a Florida gar is because It was one of the ones I read that could be housed in my 180. I figure by the time he grows a bit longer, I will be able to move him (and the gold clown knife) into the 180. Long term plan would be to adopt out my silver (I've learned my lesson with them finally), and move the rest of the 180's inhabitants into the 125, which is more than enough room for any/all of them.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Sounds good to me, I'd just be keeping an eye on the clown knife. Could potentially get aggressive at larger sizes. Other than that sounds pretty good to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store